Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld GPS Unit Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Avionics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Handheld GPS Unit Comparison Reply with quote

Has anybody read or know of an unbiased comparison between Garmin iQ3600A and Anywhere Map on a HP4705? I have read the advertising copy on Anywhere Map's web site, but I would like to hear from a source that is not associated with either company, or from someone who owns either one. Don't need the wx of the new 396 yet, but the fact that Anywhere Map can upgrade to live wx and the Garmin unit can't is significant.
Thanks.
frank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ask an excellent question.

My several friends who have had iPaq / Anywhere Map for years love the combination. I don't know anyone with the Garmin .

Do not underestimate the ability to quickly upgrade the Anywhere Map.

I have a Garmin eMap which is "no longer supported" with upgrades.

I have been using Flitesoft Pro for years as a full sized flight planner and am totally spoiled by their free monthly upgrades to program, charts, whatevers. Every time that I sign on my TFR's are upgraded. They have an Express version which runs on iPaqs etc but have not tried it. Hopefully it is just as intuitive, error free, and easy to use as their fullsize programs.
Dan Benkert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, I just had a 396 demo today in Lakeland, FL. Loved it and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the weather can be purchased by the month. If you fly 2 trips a year, activation can be within 30 minutes of your phone call. Then simply let it expire in 30 days and reactivate again later as needed. Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Avionics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: