Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I finally made it back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff Mee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: I finally made it back! Reply with quote

Hello to everyone that thought I just sailed over the horizon. I hope you still remember me, I flew mostly with Paul Shafer in WS115 Starduster II. I wandered off and forgot who I was. Not much going on here on the site but I'll put in my two cents in more often.
Cliff Mee
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff,
Great to hear from you and thanks for checking in.

Are you still flying your plane or have you moved on? Obviously I've lost track...

You are correct, there is not a lot going on this forum. The action, for some reason, is over at the Biplane Forum, but there are several of us that check in here regularly.

I'm still flying my Too, an airplane I don't believe you have seen as I didn't have it running in 2008 when we met at Flabob.

It would be great to get some west coast Stardusters together again. Maybe this time we should go farther north as Dave, Dan and the rest of you guys have certainly been making the trip south more times than we've gone north.
tw
Steve H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys get a west coast fly-in going, I may have to make a trip out there with the wife for a "get away"!

It would be really cool to attend a Starduster fly-in.

Steve H
Starduster History

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Starduster Biplane Fly-In Reply with quote

I am all in for something, but someone needs to make the call, the time and the place? My feeling would be to piggy back onto an existing fly-in or if someone in a weak moment actually wants to host the event would be fantastic ? Dave
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy enough to meet at Columbia, CA during their Father's Day Fly-In, June 17-18, 2017.

Upside:

It is an existing event with pancake breakfasts, flour bombing, spot landing and other displays. Little need to organize anything.

Some of us have been their before and might remember the way.

There is camping on the field and motels for those who can hike.

There is both a paved runway and a grass runway.

Columbia is sort of half way for many of us. No complicated airspace nearby.

June ought to be late enough in the season to get us past the rainy winter we're having, even for our web-footed Oregon friends.

On the downside:

I haven't even looked at my calendar yet.

For anyone traveling commercially to this event it is not on the beaten path for airlines, regional airlines, etc. It might mean a long rental car drive.

The Father's Day Fly-In may swamp the campground, motels and the pattern might be full of airplanes.

I'm open to suggestions for sure.
tw
Cliff Mee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Long lost friends Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for all of the dialogue, and yes I do still have my Starduster. I retired last August and I haven't been home since, I have been working on the road as a contractor, doing work on PGE property in the Portland metro area. I haven't flown in almost two years. I think what I need is to find someone that can fly with me and instruct me on the finer points of landing. I've got most of the handling traits of the Starduster down, it's just the last 30 seconds that I need help with. I'm going to wait until better weather to get my annual done, looking for someone to help with that as well, and then dedicate some time to get that landing down pat, once and for all. Embarrassingly I'm tired of the of the "double dribble" landings, I know with some help I can do better. Thank you all for listening and I hope we can all get together this year for some fun and flying. Cliff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: