Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New in this group... Fabrics resp. color cracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountainflyer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: New in this group... Fabrics resp. color cracks Reply with quote

Hello from Germany!

I am new in this group, just anout to get my used starduster too as of 1979, with IO 360 amd 670hrs SN.
Flew the aircraft recently and I am surprised about the agility on one hand and the "calm reaction" on stalls in turns as well as power on and power off.

Did anyone of you ever changed the cover (fuselage as well as wings and rudders plus tail)?
The fabrics are in excellent conditions however the color gets lots of cracks which are optically not really nice.

Any idea of someome out there?
Best regards from Germany

Volker
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Paint and Fabric Issues Reply with quote

Volker First of all welcome my friend. It is not unusual for many of these airplanes especially older ones to exhibit this condition is pained with catalyzed paint, as over time it becomes harder and harder, and the fabric flexes. The fabric in many cases is still airworthy but the paint cracking ends up being unsightly.

I know of no way to really fix the problem, I have had some success using a small vibrating sander called a mouse in these areas being very careful to not damage or sand through the fabric around and over sharp edges and corners, mostly out in the flat areas between the ribs on the wings and same on the fuselage around the stringers.

Please not that this site has little activity as few are still building starduster's most are now over on the http://www.biplaneforum.com/ that has all of the popular biplanes including starduster's, and is the place to ask this question. Dave

Volker zunächst alle Willkommen, mein Freund. Es ist nicht ungewöhnlich, dass viele dieser Flugzeuge, vor allem ältere, dieser Zustand ist krumm mit katalysierte Farbe, wie im Laufe der Zeit wird es immer schwieriger, und das Gewebe. Der Stoff ist in vielen Fällen noch flugfähig, aber die Farbe Risse endet als unansehnlich.

Ich kenne keine Möglichkeit, das Problem zu beheben, habe ich einigen Erfolg mit einem kleinen vibrierenden Sander als eine Maus in diesen Bereichen sehr sorgfältig darauf achten, nicht beschädigen oder Sand durch den Stoff um und über scharfe Kanten und Ecken, vor allem in den flachen Gebieten zwischen den Rippen auf den Flügeln und auf dem Rumpf um die Stringer.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass diese Site hat wenig Aktivität als Paar sind noch Gebäude Die starduster sind jetzt auf dem Http://www.biplaneforum.com/, das alle gängigen Doppeldecker mit starduster, und ist der Ort, um diese Frage. Dave
Starduster History

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Paint Issues Reply with quote

Volger one of my friends on the Biplane forum did this with some success. Dave

I peeled all of the paint off my Pitts Special horizontal and elevators with plastic knife and spoons from the grocery store. It's adhesion was very low and the silver underneath was undamaged. Prep sanded and repainted nicely afterward.
Chris...

Ich geschälte alle Farbe aus meinem Pitts Special horizontale und Aufzüge mit Kunststoff Messer und Löffel aus dem Lebensmittelgeschäft. Es ist die Haftung war sehr niedrig und das Silber darunter war unbeschädigt. Vorbereitung geschliffen und lackiert schön danach.
Chris...
Mountainflyer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Issues Reply with quote

Starduster History wrote:
Volger one of my friends on the Biplane forum did this with some success. Dave

I peeled all of the paint off my Pitts Special horizontal and elevators with plastic knife and spoons from the grocery store. It's adhesion was very low and the silver underneath was undamaged. Prep sanded and repainted nicely afterward.
Chris...

Ich geschälte alle Farbe aus meinem Pitts Special horizontale und Aufzüge mit Kunststoff Messer und Löffel aus dem Lebensmittelgeschäft. Es ist die Haftung war sehr niedrig und das Silber darunter war unbeschädigt. Vorbereitung geschliffen und lackiert schön danach.
Chris...

Hey Dave! Thanks a lot for the reply also on the fact that most have moved to the other forum.
Nice to have such places to ask questions rather then inventing the wheel allways new...

Best regards from Germany

Btw: Have'nt got a notice on your post. Have to check my spam folder...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: