Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did everyone go?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve H

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Where did everyone go? Reply with quote

Did everyone finish their planes? Is anyone doing any flying? There must be some folks still interested in the information available on this forum. How abut we get this going again like it was a couple of years ago.

Thanks.

Steve H.
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Well, for some reason everyone has shifted over to the Biplane Forum.

I really don't know why, other than perhaps it was easier to get more "biplane" information there as there is a fair amount of Pitts chatter there, etc.

Personally, I like the idea of having Starduster web activity going on here, right under the nose of Aircraft Spruce, but it seem a moot point now.

That said, I'm sure a few people are coming back here to check on occasion.
tw
Bob E.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check in every day. Its actually my home page. I did enjoy, and got allot out of the Starduster info here but it seemed like it dwindled to about nothing. Seems like about the time I was really pushing to finish my TOO I stumbled on the Biplaneforum where there was way more activity. Good info even if it wasn't Starduster specific.

My TOO is finished and flying. I have a bit over 30 hours in it myself now. I've had a great summer transitioning from a builder to finally being a flyer again!

[/img]
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
That really is a great looking Starduster and I'll bet you've been having a great time (finally) flying it this last summer.

I know you've talked about your Too previously, but could you refresh my memory on the basic facts of which engine, the prop and what sort of cruise speeds/fuel burn you see?

And have you any data on with and w/o the canopy? Or have you only flown with the canopy on to date?

And what about cockpit temperature in the summer; doesn't it get toasty warm with engine heat? I about roast on hot days in my Too with an open cockpit, and I can't imagine not having a stiff breeze helping to evacuate engine heat out of the fuselage.
tw
Steve H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, (NDTOO)
Thanks for posting here. You have a beautiful plane. What an accomplishment! Hope you take it to OSH next year.

I have followed all your posts on the Biplane forum. I'm on both sites almost daily. I recon if there was another experimental biplane forum , I would follow it too!

Steve H
Bob E.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Tom, engine is an IO-540C4B5 that came out of an Aztec. Exhaust is from Vetterman and basically the same as what he builds for the Harmon Rocket guys. Prop is a fixed pitch Catto. Airflow performance electric boost pump.

I have only flown it with the canopy. Yes it does get pretty warm. I did install two small scoops on the right side that pick up air through a 2" scat to eyeball vents on both front and rear instrument panels. I wasn't able to find anyone that made the canopy to fit the head and shoulder profile of the turtledeck so I went with a Skybolt bubble and cut it at an angle at the rear. I was concerned that having it open at the rear would really have some burbling effect but it has not been and issue at all. I do feel a bit of air on the back of my neck and that along with the eyeball vent help allot.

Take off performance is pretty darn good with the 540. I usually cruise at 2350 rpm and see 120-125 mph depending on how heavy I am with fuel and passenger. I always figure my fuel burn/flight time at 15 gph. A few times I've been up cruising around at 4000' leaned back and fuel burn has been right around 12.5-13 gph. Landings have been quite an education as my prior TW experience was flying a Citabria and always had visibility over the nose. Not the case with the Starduster of course. I fly a fairly tight, curved approach at 80 mph until short final. Making a nice three point is still quite a challenge for me. I can get them pretty good on grass but on the concrete I prefer a somewhat of a tail low two point and as soon as I touch down I keep forward pressure on the stick to give me just a bit of visibility over the nose and let the tail settle. Concrete is nice but these things are really at home on the grass!

Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks so much for the numbers on your Too--they make sense to me.

My Too is also 540 powered, but with 10:1 Ly-Con pistons and a CS Hartzell, so the speeds and fuel burn are a little different, but not by much.

Your landings sound just like mine. I do square off the pattern turns, but again, not overly so when turning final. I also present the plane to the runway tail low, but not for a 3-point landing. The mains hit and I lift the tail to a level, see-where-I'm-going attitude, then let the tail come down with falling speed.

I used to 3-point it every time, but had tailwheel shimmy, so I learned to pick the tail up, and that morphed into the tail-low wheel landings.

The shimmy is due to known poor caster alignment of the tailwheel, but until the rudder is rebuilt with more standard rudder horns that's just the way it's going to be.

So it's a good thing your canopy is open at the rear as I'm sure it evacuates much of that warm air. Here in SoCal it can get warm in the August/Sept/Oct (just like everywhere else), and unless it's at each end of the day it's really not that comfortable to go flying under the broiling sun and behind the 540 heater. But your canopy would be nice in February going over the Angeles Crest mountains at 10,000 ft!

Thanks again for the numbers.
tw
mwcreech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Still here Reply with quote

Just checking in. I'm still a regular and still check in on the forum occasionally. I keep Dave Baxter updated. My Starduster is coming along fine. About ready to primer. I finished trim tab controls and about to install sheet metal skin pilot seat forward. Afterward will be wings, then engine mount. Wished I new how to download pics or I would.
Mike Creech
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Still There Reply with quote

I am still here as well. Dave
Steve H

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good guys! Thanks for making some noise! Folks are still looking at the messages...over 220 for this series...so the interest is still there.

Hope some more members will chime in.

Steve H
bmcj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I feel better now knowing we're still here.

hdholsinger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check out this site every day. Haven't started building yet but but hope to get started soon.
Dennis V

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new here, but glad to see there are a few folks who hang out on this forum. Just picked up a ~3/4 finished Duster Too. All the structures are done, needs some cleanup and then fabric and paint -- and a thousand other things. Haven't even had a chance yet to go through the plans and info to see what I've got and what I need. Will be getting at it as soon as my Sportsman is done and flying. Look forward to "meeting" everyone on line, maybe find a few Dusters around my area too.
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
Welcome! It's always great to have a new Starduster fan on board.

Sounds like you have some airplane building in front of you.

As for other 'dusters in the upper midwest, I'm sure there are a few near you. I'm always surprised at how these airplanes pop up; there are more of them out there than you think.
tw
Bob E.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dennis,

What part of MN do you live? I'm in north central ND and not sure of any other SD's up this way other than mine. I used to know of a couple but they have been sold and are gone now. Haven't heard that there are any others in northern or central MN but could be one hiding somewhere that I haven't heard of.

Care to share any details about your project SD?

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: