Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much is too much gross wieght for a Starduster 100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: How much is too much gross wieght for a Starduster 100 Reply with quote

My partner and I built an SA100 and the first flight took place Nov 7th 2013. To date we have 34 hrs total on it. It is heavy. We have an o290 in it and it preforms well good climb good speed and handles well. It's the first tailwheel I have ever flown and yes it was a learning curve but it did not get bent up.Our empty weight is 897 pounds and if I fill the 18 gal header tank and put my 240 pounds in the pilots seat we weigh 1245 l pounds. We have room for 10 gallons of fuel in the top wing tank which I have never used I will be weighing 1305. Is this pushing the limits dangerously high level. Weight and balance is within limits at all times.
Could I have some honest feed back on this matter.
Thank-You in advance
Jarman
Starduster History

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: SA-100 W&B Reply with quote

Jeff I think we have chatted several time regarding stardusters in general and your airplane in particular. I and my friend mike are currently working on our SA-100s, mine was started back in the early 80s and has changed hands over six times and at one time was close to flying but never did the owner before last let it sit out at halfmoon bay near San Francisco and deteriorate, then it was bought and that guy started to rebuild the airplane, it was originally very well built, but he died in the mid 90s and it was sold several times after and the guy I bought it from had it for 8 yrs and did nothing only bought it for the engine for another airplane. But it is a great start and since buying it have the wings close to cover.

Mikes on the other hand I originally bought out of a wrecking yard in Arizona over 4 yrs ago, but had another airplane to finish and when this one came up could not pass it up especially for $ 1500.00 bucks!
we both have O-290s mine is a -D and Mikes is a -D2.

As for your question about Empty weights C. G. issues again based on other airplanes that flew and several for quite a number of hrs your all up weight is consistent with most of the others ' I have W&B for about six airplanes and they are as follows N70P 711# N32RK 799# N30FP 940# N290 WM 853# N2268 914# and last N42 WT that weighted over 950# empty and was flown well over 300 hrs and the guy that was flying it when it got wrecked, hit a gigantic gopher hole in Oklahoma the put it on its back, said it was a nice flying airplane! Most today with an electrical system and wing tanks weigh between 8 and 900# empty! We are shooting for 800 # empty.

Jeff I posted here and on the Biplane form a question as to who owns or is building or flying the SA-100 and was trying to get a list of who owns them or is building or rebuilding one and have about a dozen people that responded.. Hope this helps Dave
Steve H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SA-100 was built in 1977 with an empty weight of 940 and gross of 1300.
Engine is O-290-D. Total time is 650 hrs.

These weights are in line with Starduster History's info on other planes.

My plane was flipped landing on a wet grass strip, so I am in the process of a rebuild. Wings are ready for wood leading edges, fuselage repairs done and engine replaced and running.

The latest W/B shows the empty weight at 840 lbs. I have removed approximately 140 lbs of "extras" including 20 lbs of lead over the tail wheel, and will replace the metal prop with a wood prop to get rid of another 16-18 lbs. I'm hoping to be around 740 lbs and no electric system. The last W/B probably is suspect.

Evidently the plane is a good flyer since it has 650 hrs on it. Can't wait to find out for myself!

Steve H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: