Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mentors & Mortality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Mentors & Mortality Reply with quote

First of all as a mentor, and my reason for posting this is, I would like to offer my services to other aspiring biplane pilots in that if you are building and have never flown one or would just like to get some current stick time I would be willing to fly with you. Those in Oregon or Washingtion would of course be more convenient, but it does not matter where you live!

If you want some basic air work, hands on slow flight steep turns stalls pattern work, and of course take off and landings three point wheel and power off message me. I am not a flight instructor, nor do I claim to be one. But have a lot of real world experience and only wish to pass it on as my days as an active pilot and my own mortality do not seem all that far away in these uncertain times!

As for mentors I would like to give credit to or thank, so many. There is not enough space to do so! But just a few, Bill Clark Jim Patterson and my old flight instructor Jane Lamar a WW II Wasp, Lou Stolp Morgan "Bud" Schrack Bob Herendeen and Cliff Lamb all people that have helped shape and influence my aviation career both as a pilot and also a builder, many of course are no longer with us!

As for mortality, I never thought I would live to be 72 yrs old, after 4 yrs in the Marine Corps and 25 yrs on the fire dept but I did. Nor did I think I would even be a pilot, much less build an own an airplane like the Starduster Too! I have in this airplane alone, over 2500 hrs and am still in one piece! I have also given numerous rides mostly to older eagles, my youngest passenger was 6 yrs old and my oldest was 91! Last night I made 4 successful landings at night to stay current!

I would also like to thank all that have crossed my path over the years for their hospitality and friendship, as I have stayed in peoples homes and used their cars and have been fed incredible meals by those I hardly know or had never met before. This has been the most rewarding part of aviation home building and of course my association with this wonderful world of bi planes, especially the Starduster Too! Dave
starn11gy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thank you for all you do for so many biplane guys on this forum and on the biplanefourm! Your knowledge and expertise is priceless!! Have always enjoyed reading your imput and your guidance! Look forward to more conversations with you and also look forward to hearing about your skybolt when you get it finished!

You have a Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas!

Alan
Steve H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave for your most generous and greatly appreciated offer. Wish you were in Oklahoma! I'm sure time with you would be a big advantage before flying my SD1.

Steve H
Dan Baxter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: My Dad my most important Mentor Reply with quote

Where to begin, I was born at a very young age. The second son of an extraordinary man by the name of Dave Baxter. Being his son I've had a very unique position from which to observe him. And I can say with no reservations that if there was a finer man or better example of a human being. I have yet to encounter such a soul. He really is that honest and generous with his time. And he really wants the people he helps to succeed, be safe and enjoy these magnificent airplanes that are currently in your care.

It's been very heart warming to see so many of the people he's helped over the years here and on the Biplane forums chime in as to how much they appreciate his help or advice.

We all like to think that in this modern age that everyone is online plugged into the information super highway. But that just isn't so, in fact many of the people who have built scratch built biplanes in the past are typically not what you would call computer savvy. Not to say what goes on here isn't important or useful. My point is my Dad has helped far more than what is seen here, a lot more. My Dad was one of those people who didn't see much value in computers or the internet at first. And if there is one thing I've done to contribute to the cause, it was helping open the door for him so that he could be here to offer his help and advice.

But if there is one thing I've learned from him it's that JUST talking about it doesn't get you over the finish line. It requires dedication and perseverance. It takes a very strong commitment to finish a scratch built Biplane. But in the end it's all worth it, the feeling of accomplishment the first time it takes to the air is just amazing!

I can honestly say I wouldn't have my airplane or my pilots license today if it wasn't for my Dad. I owe him so very much more than I can ever properly repay.

Shortly after we finished my airplane and later when I got my pilots license. I was asked what I wanted for Christmas or some other gift giving occasion. And I said, I already have them. In fact whether it's a birthday's or Christmas I think I'm pretty much good FOREVER now.

So if you really want to thank my Dad for all the help and advice he freely offers. Get out there and work on your project, finish it and above all when it's done go places with it. That's the best way you can thank him!

Dan Baxter
Starduster Too
N96558
bmcj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. We can all show thanks through our actions, i.e. - finish and fly our Dusters as you suggest, but there is always a place for a simple, but heartfelt (written or spoken) "thank you".

So, though I've previously said so in person and by phone, I would like to reaffirm my appreciation here by once again offering a very heartfelt THANK YOU DAVE!

Bruce Smile

Dan Baxter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmcj wrote:
Thanks Dan. We can all show thanks through our actions, i.e. - finish and fly our Dusters as you suggest, but there is always a place for a simple, but heartfelt (written or spoken) "thank you".

I don't really disagree with anything you've said Bruce, I was just trying to point out that all he really wants is for people to be happy and enjoy their airplanes.

Many times we will show up at an airshow and we are the only biplanes, when we know there are several close by. The question then is why they don't fly them. The simple answer a lot of times is because the owner is afraid of it. Because it has issues or perhaps they never got to the point where they were comfortable flying it.

Flying a Starduster isn't necessarily hard but it does require a different skill set. The picture you see is very different than in a Cessna and you shouldn't try to fly it like one. The results are usually less than spectacular.

So when he offers to fly with anyone to help them get up to speed. They should jump at the chance. Because he has a lot of useful knowledge and advice to pass on, especially if the plane in question has issues.

Dan Baxter
Starduster Too
N96558
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gotta chime in on this. Danís plane would probably have been finished at least 3 days sooner if Dave had not taken the time to show me the work he has done on other airplanes and let me hang out with him and Dan as they worked on Danís plane. Oh! and probably another day sooner if Dave hadnít taken me flying in his Starduster (after Dan had made the ear pieces fit in the oversize helmet my fat head requires). That flight really set the hook Ė ballerina of an airplane.
Daveís a pretty darn good stick, I might add.
No telling how many hours Iíve spent on the phone listening Dave explained the unwritten ďins and outsĒ of building a Starduster. And every minute, Dave was fully engaged in transferring a lifetime of information, just so I would complete the project and then keep myself alive as I flew it.
Out in the shop by myself (my preference), Iím not really working alone. I can ask Dave.
And I do.
And am very thankful indeed for the friendship and guidance.
Davey, you da MAN!

Thanks!
Mike
Dan Baxter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
Danís plane would probably have been finished at least 3 days sooner if Dave had not taken the time to show me the work he has done on other airplanes and let me hang out with him and Dan as they worked on Danís plane. Oh! and probably another day sooner if Dave hadnít taken me flying in his Starduster

Only 4 days of delay? I would have thought it was more than that. But no worries I'm sure my Dad doesn't regret any of the time spent offering help or advice. And any delay was well worth it, if it truly helped you in anyway Mike.

Cliff Lamb and others took pity on us when we were building my dads airplane and Cliff gave me rides in his beautiful Starduster every year at the local EAA chapter fly-in. We are just doing our part to pass on what we can to help others. And that can never be a waste of time right?

Dan Baxter
Starduster Too
N96558
bmcj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Baxter wrote:
I don't really disagree with anything you've said Bruce, I was just trying to point out that all he really wants is for people to be happy and enjoy their airplanes.

I hear you. My statement was not meant to disagree with your at all, only to say that we should also express our thanks in a more direct way, one that leaves no doubt about our appreciation, in addition to getting our planes flying. Wink

mwcreech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave I can't thank you enough for all your support that you have provided over the years. Your name is brought up many times in my conversations. I get questions all the time about my project and my answers always end with
"Could'nt have done it without the help of Dave Baxter". I truly hope to take you up on your many offers to come fly with you. On my computer desktop is a picture of Dan's plane in per-cover form which inspires me everytime I sit at the computer. Hope you and everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Mike
rmarshall234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take you up on that offer, Dave. I've been making really good progress on the Acroduster II as of late and hope to have it flying by the end of next year. My sister lives in Spokane and a trip up to north to visit you, Para-Phernalia, and her and the family, will be the first order-of-business.
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Flight Time Reply with quote

Marshall Any time just give me a heads up when you think you might be passing through? I just made 5 take off and landings less that two hrs ago! So send me a pvt msg and I will give you my cell number. Dave
rmarshall234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Flight Time Reply with quote

Starduster History wrote:
I just made 5 take off and landings less that two hrs ago! So send me a pvt msg and I will give you my cell number. Dave

You da man, Dave! Sending PM now to make sure I still have your number. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: