Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Starduster Projects For Sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bros97

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: 2 Starduster Projects For Sale Reply with quote

2 Home Built Projects Looking for a New Builder

Here are the highlights from a collection of many years of airplane building. Sadly after 85 years, the owner can no longer pass his medical and he is being forced to look into an extended care home. He has built and flown a handful of airplanes through the years. Below is a brief compilation of the last two projects he could not complete. The buyer of this lot will gain a compilation of parts and supplies that many home builders would only dream of! Asking $13,500. Items located in Kansas. Contact is Barrie Roesler. 316-204-2252 Barrie.Roesler@outlook.com

Stolp Starduster SA-500 Starlet.
o Fuselage frame assembled
o Plans purchased in 1973

Stolp Starduster SA-900 V-Star.
o Was once a completed airplane.
o Damage to wing spar tip when parked in hanger during a tornado.
o Disassembled for shipment to KS
o Plans from 1969. Was once S#129

Lycoming O235C.
o S#723-15
o Complete with all accessories
o 1,023 TT
o 100 Horse
o Includes logbook

Lycoming O235 CIB
o S#7997-15
o Block pickled and in crate. Most components on hand to complete
o 1,300 TT
o 115 Horse
o Includes logbook

Sensnich Corp Propeller
o M# 76A-2
o 56 pitch
o S#1239
o Unable to locate logbook

Both airplanes have Cleveland wheels and brakes.

Enough material on hand to complete both airplanes.
o Rolls of Razorback Fabric
o Abundance of spare parts and materials acquired through 30-40 years of airplane building.

20 years worth of Sport Aviation Magazines

Numerous build and maintenance manuals
Link to Photos:

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/bros97/slideshow/
http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/bros97/library/
WaltS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is of any help, but I thought that I would mention; that I am flying V-Star S# 130 and it is a wonderful airplane and has had no problems. I did not build it so I don't know if their are any updates that were incorporated. I do have the plans and I have not found anything that is different from what the plans show. Just posting this to say, the plans of that era made a good airplane. If it would be helpful, I would be more that happy to communicate with any prospective buyer via this form. Wish I had the money to buy this lot myself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Starduster Projects for Sale Reply with quote

Barrie it is most kind of you to post this and try an help a now elderly aviation enthusiast. I have over the years seen similar airplane projects for sale some in much better shape and some in even worse shape! Usually after the owner is deceased, and because it is an airplane or airplane parts they the family thinks it is of great value, or have no idea what it is worth, or what to do with it!

I have reviewed this most interesting collection of parts and airplane projects and this is my take.

First of all the asking price appears to be a fair price and if person wanted a V-Star might make some sense,as it could be flown in light sport. But what would one do with the rest? The Starlet is another matter they if built properly were not bad airplanes, and their initial offering and plans sold were encouraging. But for some reason the interest in it never took off! So finding some one interested and willing to buy and finish it is a very small slice of the aviation pie! In my opinion.

But both projects appear to have been setting untouched and uncared for over a long period of time, and as such may need a considerable amount of work rework and major rebuild? Most buyers today are not builders and have little ability or interest in what to them would be major work? But who knows?

Are there title paper work and N number for the V-Star? Also are their flying and landing wires, if it was a flying airplane they should go with it? Is their a builders manual documenting the Starlet project with pictures and entries that the work was done at least 51% by him or and amateur builder. As to meet the recent builder requirements for an amateur built airplane these days in order to acquire a title and airworthy certificate one has to prove that 51% has been done by an amateur builder!

The wheels on the Starlet do not appear to be Cleveland's, and the other misc wheels appear to be Goodyear and as such are of little value? The wheels on the V-Star do appear to be Cleveland's though. All of the steel parts look serviceable and are probably okay, but the fuel tanks are questionable as moisture and corrosion on bare alum could be a problem! The aluminum sheet the wood ribs spruce spar materiel all of some question as digital pictures usually make things look better than they are!

It does my old heart good to see an old radio like this Alpha /Genave 200 with a VOR head, a great radio in the late 60s and 70s but no longer legal to use in today's airspace! The instruments airspeed altimeter and airspeed may all work but look old and tired all appear to need overhaul and as such with everyone going to glass instrument panels are not worth very much!

Next the engines they could be diamonds in the rough, but probably not they appear to have set around for years and as such are a big and I mean a really big question mark as the last log book entry is over 25 yrs ago? Just the carburetor alone is one item that may or may not need work, let alone the mags starter or other accessories! Some engines do not fair well when setting for long periods of time un- pickled especially those with no oil on the bare cam and lifters and steel cylinders!

All of the other stuff, fabric might be used but it is also old, and of course the paint I seriously doubt if any of the dope is even useable and very few people are even using the nitrate and butyrate dope paint on airplanes these days maybe some of those that are restoring antiques!

The hardware AN nuts and bolts and the 4130 tubing would of course be of value but the wiring and hoses hanging on the wall probably not!

Barrie Please do not think I am trying to discourage others from buying all of this stuff, I am not. However those that might be interested should have a good idea of what it is and what they are getting into and might be needed to make an airworthy airplane!

I as an old guy familiar with many of these parts and looking at it from my ability and point of view can see the value, but most these days are not builders and to most after seeing a complete new kit plane in a box, would see most of this as junk or just old used parts!

My suggestion would be to place an ad on the Barstormers aviation site http://barnstormers.com/ and also on the Biplane forum under Stardusters or in the Classified section! http://www.biplaneforum.com/ as many more will see it there as mostly just Starduster Guys hang here.

You could probably sell the engines and prop by themselves, but would probably end up with a bunch of stuff you could not sell, and I think you want to sell it all in one lot. If I can be of any further help please advise? Dave
bros97

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. You very well summed up all of my concerns before offering to help out.

I will make the note that as with everything in aircraft sales, we will entertain any reasonable offer. The lot will need to go as one piece since there is many years of sentimental value attached to it. The end buyer can use what they like and sell / scrap the remains. For the owner, I believe more valuable than getting the most money possible would be to see his work continued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: