Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oshkosh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Oshkosh Reply with quote

Arrived at KOSH about 7:30 this morning in the Cessna, must have caught a lull in the traffic, as I was the only one being talked to for several minutes. Got lucky and picked up a room at the Super 8 with a call on Sunday. The places just outside the gate book up long in advance. Was feeling good about my luck, but nervous about the wife seeing how much it cost.

Who's here? I saw the SA750 "Power Play", but no other Stardusters. In fact, other that RV's its a disappointing showing for homebuilts...compared to the many other times I've been here. The show is still fantastic, but the warbirds and vintage have taken center stage away from the "experimentals" by a wide margin. The factory produced LSA are also filling much real estate on the grounds. Not complaining, just noting that the organization is still evolving away.

The builders forums are still going strong, as a testament to the home building movement still being alive and kicking.

As always, my feet are sore from walking the rows of aircraft.

Dave

Dave Tharp
Cardinal RG
Starduster Too (building)
bmcj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the report. I find it sad that the true homebuilt movement is slowly fading, both in practice around the country and in focus within the organization. Not sure what the fix is for that, but I wish there were an easy one (fix).

I guess it's time to dust off my old links and fire up the browser to the OSH cameras and tower frequencies.

Bruce Smile

WAIT! Strike my comment "I wish there were an easy one". That's part of the reason for the decline in homebuilding... looking for an easier way. We went from designer/experimenter/builders to plans-builders to kit-builders, and eventually to non-builders.

bmcj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting to watch or listen...

Live feed cams:
http://www.airventure.org/webcams/

Tower and show radio feeds:
http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kosh

Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave & Bruce,
Dave, thanks for the news from OSH. For those of us who can't go this year it's good to get the feel of the show from someone who's there.

And Bruce, thanks for the links to the webcams and frequencies. Amazing what's on the web.

BTW, I flew my Too last night, right at sunset. Just a 20 minute fun ride in the local area. Seasonally cool temps (what a relief from the normal heat), a red glow on the horizon and dead smooth air. Perfect.
tw
davet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Bob Estvig (sp?), and his beautiful family yesterday on the show grounds. This morning I snuck out of KOSH at 7:00 am, before it went IFR. I hadn't filed IFR, so I hopped over to Wautoma to see how the weather was going to progress.

Tony Simcik (sp?) was sitting in the lobby. He had flown his SA300 in from Kansas, and we had a nice visit.

I took off for Indianapolis about 10:30 am, and ended up picking up an IFR clearance en route to get back down. It was an easy, smooth flight in the spam can, and the Instrument work was good practice.

I'm hoping the juices will be flowing, and I will find the drive to drag the fuselage out and finish my airplane.

Dave Tharp
Cardinal RG
Starduster Too (building)
Bob E.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was nice to meet Dave in person. Good to here you made it home with no issues.

We are heading home in the morning after three days of pounding the ground and we are beat! Two Stardusters and one Acroduster. A couple Chargers, three Hatz, a handful of Pitts variants, a couple Eagles and Skybolts. Could fly home in a new Great Lakes, didn't even ask the price. Amazed at all the RV's and did spend some time wandering thru all of them. Saw several panels that cost more than my entire build I'm sure. Some of those guys do some beautiful work.

The warbirds were fantastic. Must have been 25 or so Mustangs, 5-6 P-40's, three Corsairs, TBM's, B-25's, Zero, SBD, and several T6's and T28's. Saw the F7 Tigercat fly this afternoon. Very cool along with a PBY Catalina.

Hope to go back with the Duster some day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: