Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions About Building A Starduster or Acroduster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Questions About Building A Starduster or Acroduster Reply with quote

I received an E-Mail asking my thoughts about building one of these airplanes and thought that others might want to read my answers.

Questions

I'd like to thank you for your detailed answer about the Acroduster. Your suggestion to have a look on the Starduster make sense.

I have gathered some information about the Starduster. I's a very nice plane and the pictures of your Acroduster(s) are wonderful.

I would like to plan the feasibility. Maybe you could help me giving me some indications.

What will approximate costs the construction of the aircraft without engine. I know it is hard to answer, but just an estimation. I had a look on the site of A/C Spruce and I am asking me if the published information are really reliable.

The second question is how many time it will take to build this machine. Again it is hard to answer but maybe you could give me an estimation along your experiences.

Do you know if there is a good book or a website where I can found more details and instructions for the construction. And finally what are for you the more challenging parts to build.

I think I will order the drawings in order to see more concretely what that does it mean.

Many thanks in advance

Answer's

Well thanks for your comments about our airplanes, but they are Starduster Toos not Acrodusters. They are however a lot the same in many respects, especially when it comes looks.

I would like to plan the feasibility. Maybe you could help me giving me some indications.

The cost to build in today's world, is quite subjective especially trying to build an airplane in Europe where material and aircraft parts are more expensive and difficult to come by.

I can only speak about my experience here in the states.

First, I have always encouraged an interested builder to build the airplane of his dreams the first time around, if at all possible. The other thing is being able to do all of your own work in that not having to hire or pay someone else to do things you cannot!

The next thing is parts and hardware, now I am not talking about the basic wings wood and metal parts and the fuselage 4130 steel tubing as these costs are pretty well fixed. What I am talking about is wheels and brakes master cylinders tail wheel instruments boost pumps fuel strainer radios transponders hardware and any parts that can be found or purchased from other builders or sources one can find aircraft salvage companies. Many times one can find another builder who has given up and can buy all of his parts and hardware for half of what the new parts sell for. This all takes time and is part of building a plans built airplane. But one must also buy good serviceable airworthy parts.

As for the cost, It is difficult to come up with a price even here in the US but even more so in Europe as airplanes have traditionally been more expensive to build their! Mostly do to regulations, Switzerland may be the exception as they have been a bit less restrictive, but for the most part it is more expensive and difficult to build an airplane in Europe!

Here in the US I would guess that an airplane like the Acroduster Too could if one was creative and a real scrounger of parts and also able to do all of his own work, could be built less firewall forward for around $ 15.000 dollars and in Europe around $ 20.000. This is just a guess though.

I do not know how accurate the current pricing and availability of parts and material listed on the A/C Spruce web site for the Acroduster Too is my advice is to E-Mail Josh Solis at A/C Spruce as he has been trying to rectify some of these problems.

joshsolis@aircraftspruce.com

Unfortunately the build time is also subjective. Most of these airplanes take about 4000 hrs and five tears realistically how ere they have been built in as little as nine months and as long as 20 years! Having a place to work that is close to where you live or work as well as being able to do all of your own work and like I said buying all of the right parts and having them available and ready to go when you need them as well is also important.

Being dedicated to work on the airplane at least three times a week and on at least three weekends a month will also help. Not being married or having a an understanding wife or one that will help can also be a wonderful asset! As family obligations along with money and the time it takes to actually build and airplane can take one away from your family a lot!

No I do not know any other place except the Biplane form where one could get more help or information about building one of these airplanes.

As far as challenges in building, welding is certainly one and unless you can weld having others do it can be costly and time consuming. The plumbing wiring and actually the last part of finishing the airplane after working on it for several years for many has also been a challenge! Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: