Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

I am in a quandry. I am rebuilding my airplane and trying to decide whether it needs lights or not. The original builder installed nav lights and a landing light. During the 11 years I have owned the airplane I have never used the lights - not even once. My question is, are they worth the effort to reinstall, rewire and worth the weight? I would like to hear your opinions pro and con.
(formerly 85RC)
bmcj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't feel the need to fly at night (or don't feel comfortable flying at night), then I would say you don't need them. However, having them does give you the option if you change your mind and it does give you a security net if you ever find yourself too far from home as the sun goes down. It also makes your plane easier to sell if that day ever arrives.

Now, another matter... if the Airworthiness Certificate says that it is lighted and can be flown at night, does removing the lights require a new certificate?

Lastly, no matter which way you decide to go, having a working landing light and/or strobe helps make you more visible to others on the ground and in the air... a very nice safety feature.

Bruce Smile

Don Adamson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Bruce.
My plane had lights and am going back with them as I prefer evening flying.
RDavidson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: AW Reply with quote

Bruce,

What does yor AW Certificate state about night VFR?
Mine says something like "Day VFR Only unless equipment is installed to meet the requirements of" whatever the reg number is for night VFR is.

Point being it is written so that you can comply with the night reg and not need a new AW Cert.

However, to know the real answer for sure, just call your local FSDO. They are easy to get ahold and I have had good experiences with them so far...they would be the ones issuing a new AW Cert if you need one.

I wasn't going to fly mine at night either, but last minute I decided to use two very small automotive fog lamps, one for taxi the other for landing. They are actually very bright at night and are good daytime for collision avoidance. Only $30, two wires run to the front, and a switch...maybe 3 to 4 lbs total. I mounted them on my nose engine baffling.

Hope that helps,
Ron
bmcj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: AW Reply with quote

RDavidson wrote:
Bruce,

What does yor AW Certificate state about night VFR?
Mine says something like "Day VFR Only unless equipment is installed to meet the requirements of" whatever the reg number is for night VFR is.

Point being it is written so that you can comply with the night reg and not need a new AW Cert.

Thanks Don for the kudo, and thank you Ron for your answer.

I had posed the part about the AW cert as a question because I was unsure of the requirements at the time and did not have immediate access to mine. Even though I was unsure, I thought it was still worth mentioning in case it was a 'real' issue to contend with. Based on how you said yours is written though, it sounds like you have answered that question (at least to my satisfaction). I agree that a quick call to the FSDO office is a smart move.

Doc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I think I will reinstall them.
(formerly 85RC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: