Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Static port?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDavidson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Static port? Reply with quote

Alright...I have more questions.
When I was restoring my plane I noticed there was not a static port on the plane. That side of all of the instruments, AI, VVI, Altimeter, are simply left open. I assumed that was due to the fact that it was an open cockpit and maybe it didn't make sense to have a static port.

Now I'm pretty sure that all of those instruments are not working properly and I suspect it is because I don't have a static port and related tubing.

Do most of you have static ports?

I'm going to test my pitot system for leaks as well, but I think I need to add the static port too. If open cockpit aircraft didn't need a static port, why would it be any different for unpressurized aircraft? So I think I have answered my own question, but let me know what you think.

Where do most of you put the static port?

Thanks again,
Ron
RDavidson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Incorrect statement Reply with quote

Let me correct what I said...
I have no static port.
The pitot connects to the AI. The Static tube connects to the AI, altimeter, VVI, and transponder encoder, but terminates in an open ended tee fitting off of the AI.

Should I add a static port that connects to the Tee fitting?
Where should the static port be located?
Should I add an alternat static port too?

Thanks,
Ron
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Static Ports & O320s at Altitude Reply with quote

Ron Many people think that because a biplane is an open cockpit that static ports are not needed. So some builders have not made any attempt to install them. However there is a difference especially in airspeed and VSI The altimeter though does not change a whole lot and unless you are flying IFR this is not a big deal in my opinion. On my airplane and Dans we have two. Many standard category airplanes also have two static ports . Ours are located, one on the upper LH wing with a combination pitot and static and the other on the LH side sheet metal at the front cockpit! This location is similar to other standard category aircraft and some have them in the same place on the RH side as well.

As for your particular airplane with the O-320 I always recommend that people buy a Starduster with at least a 180 HP engine especially if one wants to go over them them there mountains out there and them other ones they call the Rockies!

Unless your air plane is very light 1100 lbs# empty or less and few Stardusters have empty weights below this. Or the airplane is going to be flown solo or in the flat country of the Midwest, then the O-320 would probably work fine!

Many pilots asume that if a C-172 can haul four people on 150 HP then a Starduster will do just fine with two people on the same horse power, but this is not the case, The biplane has a lot more drag and although it has a similar wing area to the C-172 it has a shorter span and as such does not fly as well above 8000' Having more horsepower helps. Even my airplane with the 180 above these altitudes leaves a bit to be desired!

If you have checked all of what others have suggested and verified that the engine is indeed producing rated horse power and that the prop is also giving the best thrust to weight performance, then you have what you have and will have to fly early in the morning or late in the day. Again my opinion. Dave
RDavidson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Static ports Reply with quote

Dave Baxter,

Thanks for the static port info, I'm going with the two port system. I ordered the parts and will hopefully have it flying again next week.
I am going back to the McCauley prop too.
You are right about the horsepower. I would have been flying around 5000' in Oklahoma and wouldn't have cared about getting above 8000'.
I have shallow pockets and can't do an upgrade at this point. However, I love flying this airplane, and I think with some tweaking of a few things here and there I'm going to be able to get to the 10,000' mark. I will have to fly when it is cool, use long open runway, be safe and loose some WEIGHT! But, this is what makes experimental flying fun! Of course being safe and smart with the testing is paramount!
Dave, your advice has been solid throughout my Starduster's restoration and I wish I had the $ to upgrade engines because that is the only real solution!

One Question? Would you go with an O-360 or bigger? Constant speed or fixed prop? Fuel injected or Normal asp? Keep in mind I don't care about acro...I just want to fly and have good climb performance up to 11-12K. Like I said before, I don't have deep pockets, so I need an economical choice even with fuel flow...

Thanks again Dave,
Ron
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Horse Power Reply with quote

Ron As for your question, 180 or 200! Both of these engines would work much better and of course the 200 IO-360 comes with fuel injection! The problem is that they made a lot more O-360s than they did the IO-360 and both are the weapon of choice for 75 percent of the home built (RVs) and even a number of STCs on certified aircraft conversions!

I would take my time and keep looking for the O-360 180 Lycoming, with the uncertain economy and the prices all over the place, many that have been hording this stuff for years have started to kick them loose! We found the engine for my son Dans plane only several hanger rows away! It was a mid timer with most accessories, but had no logs! We knew little about it only a story and several more! We took a chance for $ 7500.00 and it now has 350 hrs it had one wimpy cylinder but has been getting better and is still going strong!

I have a friend that has an IO-360 with a constant speed prop and my airplane will out climb his! A constant speed does not give you a lot in a biplane as you need a much cleaner airplane in order to take advantage of its added performance ability of the constant speed! You will get a bit better climb and a bit better fuel burn, but depending on the airplane,IE: how well the air flows around over and through (Airflow through the motor) You could gain or loose some? A good strong running O-360 with the right prop would be fine and cheaper that and IO-360 with a constant speed!

The constant speed does help some but for what most cost and what you will spend for one, you will not gain a lot.

The fix pitch would be a better choice probably on an O-320 a 74X 54 or 56 or on an O-360 a 76X 56 , You do know what these numbers mean as far as pitch and diameter regarding propellers don't you?

As far as fuel injection as opposed to a carb, I do not think it would make much difference, you would gain a little performance wise with the fuel injection and not have to worry about carb ice, but that's about all

We flew both airplanes to Fresno Calif and also to the bay area last month! I put 19.9 hrs on mine and son Dan put almost 20.0 on his!

Again all of this is just my opinion. Dave
bmcj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Horse Power Reply with quote

Starduster History wrote:
We flew both airplanes to Fresno Calif and also to the bay area last month! I put 19.9 hrs on mine and son Dan put almost 20.0 on his!

I guess that means that your plane was 6 minutes faster than Dans? Laughing

RDavidson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Thanks Dave Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the info...I'm building another airplane and my Starduster's O-320 would be perfect for it. So, I might start looking for the O-360 and swap the engines out. Thanks for answering all of those questions.

My McCauley is a 76 x56 (I thought it was 74")...let me know if I'm wrong, but that means the diameter of the prop circle is 76" and one revolution of the prop would pull the engine 56" straight forward.
Also, you said a 7656 was good for an O-360, is it not optimal for the 320? Should I look into getting it re-pitched to 54, or find a new prop?
RDavidson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Static port installed! Reply with quote

I installed the static ports and now the airspeed indicators and altimeters are working much better.

I think I need to get the gauges calibrated though.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to send them?

Does anyone have an idea of the cost for calibration for Airspeed Indicator/altimeter?

By the way, I would suggest putting static ports in if you don't have them. It is easy to do and I can see more accuracy already. Crazy, but true.

Thanks,
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: