Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye Bye TOO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Williams

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Bye Bye TOO Reply with quote

N17DS sold today, going to Alvin, TX (near Galveston), I suspect that the new owner will frequent this site.

I've been part of the Duster Cluster for almost 10 years now and plan to remain in the group, just without a Duster.

Food for thought, does a V-Star meet the Light Sport rules?
Don Adamson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it is good to see airplane sales pick up. I sold my Champ project yesterday.
frank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and tears seem both in order for you Alan. If the past is any guide, you will find an LSA qualified Duster - Starlet - in your future.
Marl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fer ya!

And yes, I think it does......

Marl Halbrook
Albany, Ga
Starduster Too N88GG
BK-13005
http://websites.expercraft.com/halbrook/ (Starduster Too Recover)
emherzog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Starduster too N17DS Reply with quote

Hey Alan, got her home to Alvin just fine and having a blast! Appreciate you honesty and hospitality, she will have a great home for a long time. My second Duster but really enjoying the 180 HP compared to the 125 I used to have. Thanks again and looking to enjoy the website.

Eric Herzog
frank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
You used to have a 125HP Starduster? I can hardly imagine that. How did it perform?
Starduster History

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: A 125 Hp Starduster Too Reply with quote

Frank their were four airplanes that I am aware of that had a 125 Hp engine on them one was built in Connecticut by Rome Begins but was actually an O-290-D that was 135 hp and later converted to a 540. My friend Colin Powers here in Oregon owned N686H that was powered by a 125 HP lycoming he and his wife flew it to the antique fly in at Merced Calif over Mt Ashland and the Siskiyou's once and said he would not do it again! Also there was one built in Japan by a technical college that also had a 125 HP lycoming and last not long ago on E-Bay one sold with a 125 Continental it also had a 10 gal fuel tank!

I do not think that any of them were flown much. Just a little history. Dave
emherzog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank, yes we had a 0290-D in our first Starduster about 13 years ago. My father, brother and I purchased N686H that Dave talked about in his post. It was a beautiful well built aircraft but to this day I don't know why you would put a 125 on a Starduster, but I guess we should have done a little homework prior to buying it. We upgraded it to 135 HP for takeoff but it was a welcome improvement anyway. We probably put around 70 hours on it between us and she flew well but definitely underpowered. I remember seeing my brother take off for the first time and thought the thing was going to fall out of the air. It would do any aerobatic maneuver once after building airspeed but that was about the extent of it. Sure wish it had a 180 and we would have kept her. I have pictures of it if anyone is interested. Really like N17DS I bought from Alan, been playing with her and have about 10 hours on her in the last 2 weeks or so. Eric
Starduster History

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: 125 HP Starduster Reply with quote

In my opinion to put less than a 180 HP engine in a Starduster is certainly not the way to go. Especially if you want to take two people and go over them there mountains, and them their other ones they call the Rockies!

Even then one must do some planning and leave early in the morning over the high country! Dave
emherzog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: N17DS new Home Reply with quote

Hey Alan, finally got a new home for the Starduster and my Citabria, just built a 50X50 located at Wolfe Airpark in Manvel TX. Put about 50 hours on her since I bought it and doing great.

Very Happy
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: N686H Reply with quote

Eric it is always nice to have a good hanger and home for your airplanes, and it sounds like you are getting along very well with it. But my question is what ever happened to N686H? Apparently the N number has been changed as it is now on a twin Beech in Alaska! Who did you sell it to and did you change the N number? Is it still flying, and in Texas? Just wondering. Dave
emherzog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I did look for it a while back and I am pretty sure it's still here in Tx just north of Houston and it seems the N number was changed. I'll do some digging around and see what i can find. I am thinking the same guy that bought it still has the airplane, they did the same thing with my ercoupe we used to have. I'll get back with you on it. I'm having a blast twisting Alan's old plane around, really flies good. Sure wish we could get some fly in's a little closer down south, seems like they all are in California of the northeast.
emherzog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, found him with a little searching on FAA.gov. James Buick bought the plane from us and still owns it. The new N # is 686JB. Built by HEINER, BRUCE L and still sporting the 0-290 and current on registration out of Montgomery TX.
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: N686JB Reply with quote

Hey thanks just trying to keep track of where they are and who owns them. Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: