Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home from OSH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Home from OSH Reply with quote

Jan and I finally made it to Oshkosh for the Air Venture gig for the first time thanks to a combination of friends with a Twin Bonanza and Southwest Airlines.

We were there from later on Sunday until Wednesday, and while we saw a lot and met many people, we obviously didn't see it all, especially the huge fields of transient airplanes. We looked for Tom Shpakow and his supercharged Acroduster but it turned out he was suffering cylinder troubles and didn't make the show at the last minute.

We did see this blue Acroduster II for sale near the IAC house. The info sheet says it's owned by Ed Harker and powered by a hot Barrett 540 and MT 3-blade constant speed. Asking price is $69,000 and the phone # 414 745-4166.

I was surprised by the general lack of biplanes. Other than the expected groups of Wacos, Staggerwings and other classics, there didn't seem to be many sport biplanes on-hand. But then, it would be less wind-blown to fly to OSH in a Bonanza than do the helmet and scarf thing.

Someday it would be grand to fly the Too to Air Venture, but it's a long, financially-crippling haul from San Diego, so that'll likely be in the bucket list for awhile yet.
tw
BFALCON

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Acroduster II Reply with quote

Actually it's owned by Bill Falcon of Elkhorn, WI. I bought a really nice 172 since my kids are about that age to start learning to fly. Its been really nice to go places with the family as well. Really can't justify two airplanes as much as I would like to keep both. Engine and prop have 115 hrs since factory new. basically new firewall forward except for sheet metal. 310-315hp. Recover back in 03. At $69K, it's essentially a 100 hour firewall forward, with a free airframe thrown in. Market for such things is really bad, and probably will be for quite some time. I had one guy looking at the engine and prop combo for his MX2 project. Was going to put a IO-360 on the Duster for his kid. Interesting idea. I'm expecting to take a bit of a bath, but at least I'm not in a crisis, must-sell situation like others I know. I can send a comprehensive spec sheet if anyone's interested.
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for checking in with the straight scoop on your Acroduster.

It has to be a real performer; do you have any climb or speed numbers for it?
tw
BFALCON

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 degree day, solo with full fuel it will do about 2500fpm. I'm at 780MSL here in SE Wisconsin. I flew it in very early spring at around 24F and it was just plain scary. It's really silly but a whole lot of fun. It will just barely redline at 200mph in level flight with full power. I can get it down to around 11gph leaned at 21" 2100rpm for a 140 mph cruise. Not too bad in cruise. 29gph wide open.
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Awesome numbers!

I've got a Too with a similar engine; no doubt a tick or two behind your power-wise, and it seems to climb like yours, but obviously won't go as fast. It'll show 170+ at 24 square with the front hole covered and the rear hole open (no canopy). It leans down like yours at similar power settings. Full chat is 28 gph.

It sure makes for nice cross countries, and you have a fun biplane when you get where you're going.

If you took your front windshield off you'd have to throttle back to avoid Vne!

Can only imagine it on a cold day..

Thanks for the numbers!
tw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: