Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAA Paperwork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDavidson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: FAA Paperwork Reply with quote

Hey everybody, I just wanted to share some info about "Major Changes" to our experimental aircraft.
I recently did some big projects to a Staduster that I did not originally build. Anyone can legally work on an Experimental aircraft, however you may run into problems if your work is considered a "Major Change". A "Major Change" is defined somewhat vaguely in the FARs, but basically any alteration that affects CG falls into the definition. Also, if you change from a fixed prop to a prop that is controllable in flight you have made a "Major Change".

If you believe you have made a "Major Change" you need to contact your FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office). They will ask what changes you have made and then tell you how to proceed.

In my case, I had installed a longer engine mount, which definitely changes the CG. The FSDO wants me to send a letter requesting new operating limitations. With this request I need to ask for a designated flight area within 25-40nm of a suitable test airfield (basically an airfield with low traffic and away from a densely populated area). The FSDO will then assign a new phase one flight period...usually 5 hours in the flight area you requested.

After your 5 hours are completed and logged in your flight book you will get another set of operating limits that will allow you to operate your aircraft normally, without restriction.

I have heard of the different FSDOs requiring different measures, basically it depends on their knowledge of the process, and how they interpret the FARs. If you find yourself in a situation where you think the demands of the FSDO are not right or fair, call the EAA, they will make a phone call to your FSDO and fight for your equal, correct treatment...another good reason to be an EAA member!

I hope this helps...it was haunting me the whole time I was working on my airplane. However, I should have called them first to ease my fears because it really isn't a big deal!

By the way, you do not have to fill out a form FAA 8130-6, or 337G. You will only need to send the request letter and a copy of your work listed in your aircraft logbook. My FSDO said they usually have a written response to you in about a week.

Good luck,
Ron
jsh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience was similar when switching from metal prop to wood prop. sent letter to local FSDO saying what I wanted to do. received letter back saying "go ahead, fly 5 hours with new prop, make logbook entry". did not have to request new operating limitations. as you say, you will typically see different requirements from different FSDO's.
RDavidson

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Paperwork returned Reply with quote

Fellas,

I got my new operating limitations back today. The FAA FSDO was very helpful and very quick with their work...not bad for a government program!

They gave me a 5 Phase 1 test flight period in the local area. After completing the 5 hours, I must enter a statement in my logbook containing the new airspeeds. Then I am able fly unrestricted.

The new operating limits have all of the new verbiage, and is actually less restrictive than the limits from the 70s.

I would encourage anyone restoring an older plane or changing things on your new one not to fear talking to your FSDO. It was not a bad experience at all, and I feel good that everything I have done has been in accordance with the FARs.

If you have any questions that you don't want to post, just PM me. I'll be glad to help you out.

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: