Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopy 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob E.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Canopy 101 Reply with quote

My canopy arrived today and I think it was really on of those "Uff Da" moments as in how am I going to get this thing to fit and look reasonably good. As my build progresses, the more I build the more I realize I have a TON of stuff to build!

So I have two questions for you seasoned builders:
1-What the heck did I get myself into?
2-How do you get passed question one!

So back to the canopy. I knew it would be a challenge as I wanted to retain the head and shoulders turtledeck. I plan to make it so I can easily change out to windshields for summer flying. It will be the tip up and back style that Steen shows on their site. The canopy came from Todds Canopies and is his standard Skybolt canopy.

I got my engine mount and finished my firewall this weekend so now I can finish the rest of the fuselage sheetmetal. Then I can start trimming on the front of the canopy to see how it will fit in place.

I can tell this is a dangerous point of the building process. I looks like I may actually have an airplane someday but then the door hits you in the face when you think of all there is to do.

Mike Harris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man o Man! That sho’ do look lika airplane!
And I have agree that the sheer number of little parts that have to be planned, coordinated with the thousand other parts it will affect/interface with is just staggering. THEN the easy part is fabbing it up.

IT must be fun or we wouldn't do it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: