Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recover/Rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Recover/Rebuild Reply with quote

It is official, I have finally decided to recover/rebuild my Starduster Too. The start date for the project is January 9, 2012. I am sure I will have many questions over the next two years - the time I estimate it will take me to do a thorough job. My first question is, Does anyone have a good design for wing cradles? I would like to make two - one to hold and transport all four wings and one to hold and transport one wing at a time. Pictures and/or drawings would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
(formerly 85RC)
bmcj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that, and keep us up to date with lots of pictures. Have you decided which process you are going to use? I've always been partial to Stits Polyfiber (maybe because I've done more planes with it, but probably moreso because I am friends with Ray Stits).

Some on here may tell you that Loehle, Stewart, or some other process is the way to go, saying it has no bad points and will throw out disparaging remarks about Polyfiber. However, each has it's good and bad points, and each builder has their preference (and, consequently, think that their favorite is the only "goog" solution). You'll just have to make that decision on your own if you have not already. Laughing

Just remember, you can buy uncertified cloth for your Starduster at a much cheaper price... just as good as the certified stuff, just doesn't have the PMA stamp on it that says it's usable on a certified aircraft.

Bruce Smile

biplanebob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: wing cradles Reply with quote

Doc, good luck on your rebuild.
There is an article in the December 1987 issue of Sport Aviation Magazine, If you are an EAA member, you can access back issues online, the is also a link to that article on the Van"s Airforce Forum, found by searching "wing cradle'.

Bob
jsh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful of using carpet to pad the cradle. the solvents take a long time to evaporate out of the coatings (unless using water base) and will melt those carpet fibers into the finish
Bob E.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the rebuild and coming from someone who is in the process of building from start I would love to see pics of it in bare bones state.

Ideas and questions answered from others have been a tremendous help and pictures really help tie things together.

Bob
Doc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, I am going to use Polyfiber for many reasons. The main reason is most people in my chapter use it with great sucess. I am sure they will be a wealth of resource during my project.

Thank you all for the heads up on wing craddles.

Don
(formerly 85RC)
DougJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Wing Cradle Reply with quote

Doc,
This is probably not what you are looking for right now, but it may help in the future. I needed to get my wings out of the way for a while and hung them from the ceiling. Readily accessible, yet out of the way.

Last edited by DougJ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Adamson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Star Gloss Reply with quote

Since the topic of covering systems has come up yet again we are trying something new in the shop called Star Gloss. It is by the Poly Fiber folks; the fabric goes on the same except after the tapes are on the process switches to a polyurethane based primer with silver and then a polyurethane topcoat. So far I like it and it requires a fresh air breathing system like all catalyzed paint systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: