Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tubing repair?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Tubing repair? Reply with quote

Ok guys, there hasn't been much activity on here lately so here goes a question for everyone. When I purchased my project the previous owner attempted to install a canopy, while he did a decent job, it was far from a perfect fit, complicated and above all very heavy. After several years of trying and fitting I got drastic tonight and cut everything off an am going to make it an open cockpit like designed. I probably eliminated 25 to 30 pounds considering everything. Here's my question: While cutting off the old tubing and grinding down the welds, I slightly nicked the top longeron with the grinding wheel. Nothing drastic about 3/8 of an inch long and very minor scratch probably only 1/1000's deep, but nevertheless a nick in the longeron. What do I do about it? Do I dress it out like a nick on a prop, do I weld over it, do I need to cut some type of patch and weld over it? I'll take any advice.
Bob E.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is very minor I bet it is not worth worrying about. Carefully dress it out with a scotch brite wheel on you die grinder. If you are concerned refer to AC 43 weld repair section, treat it like a slight dent and weld a patch over the top of it.
jsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you what is the best and/or correct thing to do. I can only say what I would do. Weld it closed. Dress that weld down very carefully with a file.....I would put masking tape on either side of the weld to know when I was getting close to the tube and avoid more scratches. Then I would polish the whole thing out with finer grades of emory cloth until there was no scratch(es) visible with a 10x magnifying glass. That is the standard that is recommended for the edges of fittings and to which I took all of mine.
jsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just having read Bob's reply, I would agree if it is that shallow. hard to tell without actually seeing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: