Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limiting liability on sale of Homebuilt airplane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevagemail-starduster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Limiting liability on sale of Homebuilt airplane Reply with quote

I acquired a Starduster SA-100 that turned out to have a bent crankshaft despite a recent overhaul. This was discovered toward the end of the process to get the plane flying again. I can't afford a new rebuild and am now hoping to cut my losses to sell the plane, but I am afraid of the liability that could come with selling it.

Should I de-register it with the FAA to sell it as simply as de-registered or perhaps as "parts"? Would that cause serious problems for a potential buyer that would have difficulty getting it re-registered?

Should I sell it with a liability-excluding statement?

I'd appreciate any insight anyone may have. Thanks,

Steve
ronpenrose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on folks I have talked to regarding same question, it appears that ultimately there is no sure fire mitigating things you can do. Even if you have someone sign a statement ther is nothing preventing them from sueing you. Best advice I seemed to have received is join EAA. As part of your membership, you have free access to litigation attorney's who will help you defedn yourself if some does sue. On the lighter side, an experienced fellow experimental owner recently told me that those kind of law sutes are highly rare. I'm in the same boat as you. I have sold one experimental and just hope for the best. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: