Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight characteristics of Acroduster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Pincince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Flight characteristics of Acroduster Reply with quote

What should the stall, cruise, take off and landing distance, and cervice cieling be for an Acroduster powered with an IO 360 constant speed? The aircraft weighs in just about 1090 #. This aircraft was built with 1975 plans and no deviations from the plans. I see a 200 HP for sale with 56 stall and 18000 ft service cieling while the aircraft I am looking at is claiming about a 65 MPH stall, 115 MPH cruise and 10,000 ft service cieling. These specs seem a little limiting. Any info would be apprectiated, I am trying to decide on a purchase.

Ken
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Flight characteristics of Acroduster Too Reply with quote

Ken I am not the best person to ask this question however I will pass on what little I know. The published stall speed is 56 MPH the actual stall speed would probably be closer to 70 mph the difference in these numbers could be as follows, 56 MPH stall speed would be a very light well built slick cover job with little paint and good lower wing root fairings, A/C main fuel tank only, a 150#lbs pilot with minimum fuel. In contrast 70 Mph stall would relate to a heavy airplane IE: main and wing fuel tanks, full upholstery, full instruments with Gyros,cabin heat, two heavy pilots 200#lbs + with parachutes,engine and propeller combinations, and a heavy multicolor paint job that looks nice and glassy but covers the tapes to where you can hardly see them. Many of the current flying Acrodusters fall into the latter category. Cruise speed could be from 145 MPH to 160 MPH again depending on how clean and well rigged the A/C is as well as engine an propeller combination and weather the A/C has a full bubble canopy or not. As for landing and take off distances they can be very subjective depending on the A/C and pilot skill furthermore there has been very little published on this as most airplanes can and are so different from one another as well as personal opinion. The to airplanes you site are fine examples as both could be accurate statements, however 18,000' celling is not very believable. I have some published information, magazine articles and a POH for the Acroduster Too ,please Private message me with your phone # and best time to call Dave
BFALCON

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Acroduster Performance Reply with quote

My Acroduster II is probably not the best example as it has about 110 more HP and empty, weighs in around 1140. As far as stall goes, mine begins to bang around a bit at 68mph and finally gives it up at 62mph. My cruise is 160mph at 24 in hg and 2200rpm. That's with 3 blade CS MT prop and IO-540-X. 56 for stall sounds reasonable for a lightweight, as does 18,000 on 200 hp. It might take a while to get there, but I'd bet it would do it. Where will you put the O2 bottle? Oh, yea, mine has rear canopy with front windscreen. My numbers are with close to full fuel in the main (say 18 gal) and me, (I'm 200# with the chute). Takeoff distance is probably on the order of 500ft or so, and I can usually get it down and stopped on the pavement in less than 1000 after coming over the fence at around 110. Wheels touch at about 80. It's really draggy, especially with this prop which is a huge airbrake with the power pulled back so it slows down quickly all on its own. I can give more info if you need.

Bill
frank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
18,000 ft service ceiling with 200 HP seems very hopeful to me. The AD2 symmetrical airfoil gets very draggy at higher angles of attack. I recall returning solo from the IAC Natl's in 2002 and struggling to get to 12,000 light on fuel but packed with my usual contest baggage, tools, etc.

The performance specs in my 2002 Sport Aerobatics article are from timeless sources plus my own observations so should remain valid. You can find it online at www.acroflyer.com Click on the Acroduster pic and follow as needed.

If you buy an Acroduster please avoid any tailslides until you are ABSOLUTELY certain that proper and effective aileron stops are in place. Contact me for details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: