Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priming 4130

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aviator25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Priming 4130 Reply with quote

I have the 4130 fuselage on my home build ready for priming. Do I need to prepare the 4130 tube serface for priming? and what is the best primer to use?
Also is Zinc Chromate an acceptable primer to use on 4130?
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Priming 4130 tube Reply with quote

Aviator, by all means prep the surface! If you have a good autobody shop around, they will bead blast it for a nominal sum - usually $100-200 or so.
After the tubing is all cleaned by bead blasting, do not hesitate in priming it. Wipe the tubes down with alcohol or another suitable solvent, then prime with a good epoxy primer. I use Polyfiber zinc chromate epoxy - a bit pricy at $63/qt, but it lasts about forever, protects the metal well, and is unaffected by the glues and solvent used in covering.

Be sure that ALL welding of attachments, etc. is done before priming - put in plenty of ground attaching points around where your instruments and stuff goes. After it is primed, the only way to attach new stuff is with cushion clamps or similar - you would have to scrape all the epoxy and top coat paint off a large area to weld anything else on!

Any sub-assemblys can be coated when they are finished - your tail feathers, controls, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: