Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Certified to Experimental - How?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toobuilder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: From Certified to Experimental - How? Reply with quote

Hello,

I own several experimental and certified aircraft, and I am an A&P. I currently have a basket case Tripacer that is on track to become a Pacer, via the STC'd landing gear kit. However, the additional modifications that I am contemplating are pretty extensive and will require significant effort to do via further STC or Field Approval action. Since I will have my hands on almost every part of the structure and systems (certainly meeting the "51% rule"), I might as well go experimental and save myself a bunch of headache. Before I talk to the Feds, is there anything I should know about the process? Any "red flag" terms to avoid or other landmines?

Thanks.

Hiperbipe (flying)
RV-8 (flying)
Starduster Too (waiting)
Pacer based Experimental (in work)
toobuilder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with all the formerly factory manufactured aircraft operating under the "experimental - ametuar built" category, I figured there was some sort of acceptance to this practice by the Feds... Certainly not at the Van Nuys FSDO! I was just told in no uncertain terms that any aircraft that has held a standard airworthiness cert can be certified as experimental- ametuar built. Of course this kind of flies in the face logic with the Corvette powered Seebee that is on the cover of Sport Aviation this month. It is reported to hold such an airworthiness certificate. Anyway, it appears that the less said to the Feds is better (as usual).

Hiperbipe (flying)
RV-8 (flying)
Starduster Too (waiting)
toobuilder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind,

I have the answer I was looking for.

Hiperbipe (flying)
RV-8 (flying)
Starduster Too (waiting)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: