Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine/center of gravity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Breezy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paschel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: engine/center of gravity Reply with quote

Hello,
I am about to start building... I have a pair of factory-crated PA-18 wings from 1966 and don't know yet which engine to choose. I flew a BREEZY last year with a Lycoming 235, but there were no balance data available.
Does anybody know of a BREEZY with a O-320 ?
paschel
Wambo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paschel,

you may wish to check out this website:

http://breezybuilders.tripod.com/

There are a few 0-320 powered breezys.

Bob
davet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may wish to build a Super Cub or a Husky instead of the Breezy, and end up with a $90,000.00 airplane for about the same investment that you will have in the Breezy. You can always open the door to feel the wind!
Breezy's don't sell very well...I wonder why? Don't waste those PA18 wings.
N2AV8N

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that the Breezy should use the same CG range as the PA "whatever" the wings came off of.... I have discussed this with several knowledable people, but I have not recieved a difinative answer one way or the other. If I remember correctly the CG range on a J-3 is about 12 to 22 inches aft of the leading edge of the wing (this should be verified with your own research). The o320 is quite a bit heaver than the o200, so some weight compensaition will have to be planned for if you intend to build it according to the plans. Mine has a 0290 /elec start on it, and its CG is toward the rear limit with a 230 lb pilot.
There are a number of Breezys with o320s, first hand comments from those pilots would be the best info...

Dan Cushing
Breezy 5150

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: WT &BAL Reply with quote

For my test flight and first 4 hours of the 40 hour fly-off I had my wt. & bal. very close to 25% chord. So my CG was at 25% of the width of my wing starting from the leading edge and moving toward the trailing edge. The 25% reccomendation came from a book I was reading regarding test flying experimental AC. In order for me to land my CG right on 25%, I machined up two ballast bars that clamped them onto my frame just a few inches forward of my seat. I pulled one bar off and flew it for a few hours and then pulled the second bar off and have continued to fly with no ballast. My CG as I fly single place is a bit aft, with passengers upto 240 lbs I am in the middle to forward CG range. The wing I have is the Wag Aero 2+2 (PA 11 copy) and the engine is a Lycoming 0-320 E2D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Breezy All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: