Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Starduster flying :-)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starduster History

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: OIL Cooler Reply with quote

Andy Glad to hear that your flying, you might try adding a short eyebrow scoop lip at the top of the cooler as well as increasing the inlet area especially if part of th cooler is below the the lip of the nose bowl. The air because of the ramp angle has a tendency to just zoom right past rather than proceed through the cooler. Another common cooling problem with Stardusters is the big open nose bowl lets a lot of air in ,but based on how the aft end of the cowling is made I.E. ( gills, size of cutout lip size and angle, and louvers ) may or may not allow enough air out resulting in restricted air flow. What happens is the air stacks up and what cannot go through the cylinders will actually come back out the front thus limiting speed and cooling if you still can not solve your cooling problem give me a call and I will try to get down and take a look Dave
BFALCON

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: OIL TEMP Reply with quote

After the instalation of a Barrett IO-540-X in my SA-750, I had the same issue with the oil temp. Same oil cooler location as the old 540, but had temps as high as 225 in cruise. The guys at the Extra 300 display at OSH said to add a spoiler to the outlet at the lower cowl to help suck more air out. I added some small 3/4" tabs to the edge of the outlet at about a 60 degree angle to the outlet (and wind) and what a difference it made. Oil temp is down under 200 and now my cylinder heads are a bit on the cool side. The tabs apparently act like a wicker bill (sp?) on a racecar rear wing creating a large low pressure area at the outlet. I would try this before enlarging the opening, which is what I did first with limited results.

Bill Falcon
SA-750
N37966
Andy Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Oil Cooler Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys.

Dave: I had thought of putting a scoop such as you suggest above the oil cooler to deflect air through it - the baffle design looks as if it was designed to facilitate flow over the cylinders without thought to the oil cooler - I was thinking of putting a piece of 3/4 inch angle aluminum above it to create an air dam.

The plane has a typical Piper cowl so large gills and a fair bit of space because of the dual exhaust setup - I would have thought it would clear enough air - but even my neighbor's Super Cub needs a pretty big spoiler to get adequate airflow over the engine - I may try boltng on a temorary spoiler - and riveting it in place and painting it if it works Smile

Thanks for all the advice Smile

Dave - I can come to Scapoose - it can only be 35 - 40 minutes from here. When are you around the airport???

Andy

Starduster History

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler Reply with quote

Andy I am around the airport quite a bit just call before you come weather permitting Dave
Andy Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger. Wilco.

frank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Do you often get a backfire or often get a kickback? We had a frequent kickback at start which tended to chew up starters as well. It turned out to be the lack of a jumper on the back of the ignition switch. Without the jumper the mags wre firing at their usual 25 degrees +/- during start. Adding the jumper turns off one mag at start and allows the other to enjoy the springloaded starting delay for smooth starts. Never lost a starter after that due to kickback.
Andy Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Diode Reply with quote

Hi Frank:

Yes, I do have the jumper on the ignition switch - and sometimes it kicks back on start, or backfires just as it starts. . . . .

Andy

bmcj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought Andy... can you tell if the jumper is good and has a good connection?

Andy Duncan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Switch Reply with quote

Should be good: It was a new switch from Aircraft Spruce. I completely rewired the plane and installed a new panel with all new switches, breakers, and pretty well all new instruments ( I think only the airspeed indicator is original) including a Grand Rapids EIS, and a Garmin 296 in an Air Gizmo mount.

As the oil cooler is pretty well all below the lip of the nose-bowl, I'll try Dave's suggestion of a small eyebrow scoop to drive more air through the cooler - if that doesn't work we'l check the timing, if that's not it I'll try the spoiler . . . . . . etc., etc. Smile

Andy

Timbob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Post some pics Andy.... Reply with quote

A closeup or two of the nosebowl area and bottom air exit area will help. I would like to see your cockpit refurb too.
Thanks...

Tim Parker
Socorro, NM
SA300 N169TR, SA100(almost)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: