Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotec R3600 in a Starduster Too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bountyhunter52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Rotec R3600 in a Starduster Too? Reply with quote

Question I would lioke to request comments about the Rotec R3600 150 hp 270 pound radial engine for a Starduster Too SA300 project.

1. Is that enough horssepower for that project?
2. Is the weight too much compared to a Lyc 180 hp engine?
3. Has anybody else even considered it? If so why? or Why not?
4. That would be a great looking aircraft?

Rob in Michigan
bmcj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

First, let me suggest that you post your question on the Aircraft Spruce "Stardusterand Acroduster" forum (instead of here on the Aircraft Spruce "Experimental and Homebuilt" forum. There have been a number of discussions there about radials and Stardusters.

Second, click on the "search" button at the top of this page and type in "radial". It will show you all discussions containing the word "radial".

Third, most people agree that radials are not the best option for the Starduster. They are significantly heavier than an equivalently powered opposed engine. 150 HP is enough but it is on the low end (original Starduster Too specs called for 125-260 HP). 160-180 HP opposed is generally considered best, giving the best balance of power and weight, along with good handling. Radials, on the other hand, give you less payload capability, heavier wing loading, slower cruise, higher fuel consumption, and more weight to 'pitch' around when maneuvering. The only real reason to go for a radial engine is the vintage "look".

Last, I have read some recent literature that casts doubt on the Rotec Radials. I don't recall if the complaints centered around reliability, deliverability, support, or ???, but I do recall that some of the dealers were quickly bailing ou of the Rotec family. I'm still looking for the articles so that I can quote them accurately.

bmcj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more tip...

Go to www.acroduster.net and click on their link to the Starduster magazines. Look in the index file for articles on radials, then find the corresponding magazine and open it to find your article (or you can download it first). Just a word of warning, the PDF files are very large, so you'll definitely want to use the index file first to find what you are looking for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: