Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAF El Centro Airshow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Lund

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: NAF El Centro Airshow Reply with quote

I was invited to fly my Starduster to the NAF El Centro Airshow for static display last weekend. Wowww, it was awesome!

El Centro is the winter home of the Blue Angels, and they put on an outstanding show.

Parked next an Avenger...

A couple of the Blue Angels team were quite impressed and had lots of questions...

N21NS
KSDM San Diego, California
Steve H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite an honor! You represented us Duster folks well.

Steve H
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
Good job!

I displayed at the same show about 6 years ago. It was a great experience, but I did not request snow fencing around my plane and it was mobbed by the legions of the unwashed.

At some point you must leave your plane and go to the bathroom. When I returned people were swinging the prop by hand, others had their kids in the cockpit and every switch in there had been moved.

I'd do it again (would be great to go with you out there), but for sure I'd have the plane fenced off!

Great to see you are out and about.
tw
William Lund

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom!

Yes, you are right about the throngs of spectators. I had been cautioned about that. They roped off the area for me and an Acrosport when we were not around, so nobody messed with anything (at least there was no visible evidence).

I stayed in the Officers Quarters on the base Friday and Saturday nights, and was invited to parties at the Officers Club ("The Mirage") both nights. It reminded me so much of the Top Gun movie bar scene! Lots of fun and very loud. Even the Base Commander was there... Smile
N21NS
KSDM San Diego, California
Dan Baxter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if people would be a bit more respectful when looking at planes. It's a double edge sword, I want people to see my plane that wouldn't normally get the chance. I just don't want them climbing on it like it was a jungle gym.

At Oshkosh I had a 5 year old climb up on the wing of my plane. Not on the walkway, right out in the middle of the fabric. With his dad standing right there and I was nearby to see it. God only knows what happens when I'm not there. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy. At the time it seemed to have done no damage. A few months later I started having one of the tapes separating from the fabric.

Dan Baxter
Starduster Too
N96558
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: