Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing tank for a Starduster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algonquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Wing tank for a Starduster. Reply with quote

Wondering if the wing tank is worth it. There isn't on now so starting from a covered center wing. Any recommendations would be great, thanks Tom.
Steve H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you much with your decision since I have the SA100. I'm sure someone with a Too will help you out with some information.

However, I will not be putting the wing tanks back in my plane since I have a 24 gallon fuselage tank. My engine is a Lycoming O-290 D, so 24 gallons is a good for about 2.5 hours with reserve. Also, I am removing 12 lbs by not installing the tanks. I am on a mission to get down to around 740 lbs empty weight from an original empty weight of 940 lbs. The last weight and balance was 840, but have no idea what was in it at that weight. I have removed approximately 153 lbs so far.

Steve H
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Wing Tank Considerations Reply with quote

Tom There was a whole long thread on this issue, regarding a 540 powered Skybolt, over on the biplane forum. Basically if you are going to fly locally and never venture far from your local airport the standard main tank of approximately of 28 gallons would be plenty. However if you plan on going anywhere over 200 miles a two to three hr flight from your home base, then having a wing tank becomes a most comforting addition. Especially when challenged with weather.

The problem you face is finding building or buying a wing tank, and also making a new center section that it will fit in. As not a lot of the current wing center section will be usable. There are drawings for either center section, you might be able to use the spars leading edge and trailing edge as well as the but ribs, cut out those in the center, remove the drag and anti drag wires and replace them with torque plates and add the 1/4" plywood bottom to the existing center section. Also the center section with the wing tank is much heavier.

My advise would be to build a separate, entirely new center section, and get it all ready with plumbing and all, that way the switch would be less painless. Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: