Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Year's Resolution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: New Year's Resolution Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to put myself under the gun and tell the world that I am going to try to get the Duster flying this year. Hold me to it! Generally, plywood leading edges, some work on the aileron controls, cover and paint, a new wood prop, and it's ready to go.

We get back to Oklahoma the first week in March and the wife and I have committed to not returning to Alaska for the year so I can get the plane flying. With her behind me on this how can I help but succeed? I think she's tired of hearing me talk about getting it done and wants a change of subject at the dinner table!

Anyway, hope everyone has a good year and is successful in what ever you are endeavoring to do. I especially hope you builders make good progress this year!

Steve H
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
You and your wife can do it!

Keep us posted on your success.
tw
Steve H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom!

I'll let you know how it's going.

Steve
Starduster History

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Encouragement Reply with quote

Steve I bought another SA-100 project last march, and sold the other to my friend mike who is doing very well repairing it. This project was started in the early 80s and pretty well along in many respects, but had never been covered it passed through many hands, I have at least four bills of sale, the guy I bought it from had it eight yrs and did nothing he only bought it for the engine. It sat outside in half moon bay for several yrs and the wings had some dry rot, but the fuselage was painted and in pretty good shape. Many things needed to be changed and some I just could not stand!

The wings are now pretty much ready to cover some center section work is yet to be done.. I have a basic list that needs to fixed changed or repaired.

SA-100 Progress
These are some of the things, and in no particular order.

(1) Make and install wheel pants, brackets and "T " bars

(2) Fix repair modify main fuel tank, currently working on it.

(3) Mount Fuel tank

(4) Make engine mount........... Done

(5) Make and install new bungee truss.... Done

(6) Make rudder pedal arms modify and install Cessna pedals, mostly done

(7) Install throttle quadrant

(Cool Make and install instrument panel

(9) Install re work controls stick push pull tubes and idler arms

(10) Make fire wall

(11) Modify head rest shorten glass in bulk heads floor, and baggage door

(12) Install seat belts, shoulder harness and crotch strap

(13) Install rudder horizontal stab, elevator, and rig tail wires

(14) Modify cockpit rear cross tubes move seat frame aft and add 6" more inches to leg room, mostly done.

(15) Install wings and check flying and landing wire rigging.

These are a few of the things I have been working on or plan to change.
Most of December was unproductive do to health issues, but I am now getting on top of, my latest accomplishment is the rudder pedals made and converted to the Cessna type pedals.

I am not sure yet if I am going to shorten the lower aileron as they are covered thru silver and add upper ones. I have everything to do it, but it would be a lot more work. Dave

This is the link to the pictures and progress on the Biplane forum page one.
http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=12696

Page Two
http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=12696&page=2

I would post the pictures here, but have been unable to do so as it is not user friendly!

So get busy my friend!
Steve H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave.

I didn't realize the one you are working on was a different plane.

Thanks for the poke in the ribs...I promise I will get busy when we get back to Oklahoma in March.

You certainly are a motivator...I have very little to complete compared to all you are doing.

Steve H
Steve H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I need to update my New Year's resolution!

I didn't make much progress this year but have finally started working on the plane again. Completed the new hardware installation on all wings. Glued in new fillers on the bottom wings between the ribs for gluing the plywood leading edges. Made nose ribs to attach to the ribs mid-span and outboard ribs for gluing the plywood leading edges. Each wing leading edge will be done with 2 approximately 1/2 span pieces of plywood. These extra ribs will allow but joints. Purchased but have not installed aileron hinge bearings. Purchased a wood prop...20 lbs lighter than the metal prop.

So, my New Year's resolution for next year is to complete and fly my Starduster! But I have to complete a new left wing build and firewall rebuild on my son's RV-4 first! A "first time to fly" friend got on the back seat left rudder on takeoff and my son couldn't overpower his pressure. No ground loop but hit the PAPI with the left wing and the rough ground bent the gear and damaged the firewall.

Steve H
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Well, if it always went according to plan there would be no mystery to it!

Thanks for updating your New Year's Resolution--and better still, good on your for digging in again.

Now, about that 30 lbs I need to lose (again)...
tw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: