Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did everyone go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm south of the Twin Cities most of the time ... or just south of Great Falls the rest of the time.

Picked up this SD a few months ago. The gentleman who started it passed and his wife was selling the pieces. All the major structures, and most of the minor ones too, seem to be there. Got a used O360 with it -- fairly low time engine that was overhauled and pickled some years ago, so not sure yet what kind of shape it's in.

As I mentioned, have to finish the Sportsman first. It's at the proverbial 90% done 90% to go stage. Looking forward to getting into the SD then. Need something I can stick my head out of when I fly. Very Happy

Beautiful plane, Bob. Hangar's too clean though.
PB Schafer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I even come back here occasionally to check up on you guys. (and gals)
bmcj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: post subject Reply with quote

PB Schafer wrote:
I even come back here occasionally to check up on you guys. (and gals)

Hey Paul,

Great to hear from you again! Geneva and I need to get up your way to say HI sometime.

rmarshall234

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>That said, I'm sure a few people are coming back here to check on occasion.

I'll be one of those guys. I've picked up a virus from the bp forum twice in the last few months. It doesn't seem the same since Beej sold the website awhile back.
Acroduster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmarshall234 wrote:
>That said, I'm sure a few people are coming back here to check on occasion.

I'll be one of those guys. I've picked up a virus from the bp forum twice in the last few months. It doesn't seem the same since Beej sold the website awhile back.

Good reason for me to stay away from Bp forum.
Marl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still around as well......life and work have gotten in the way of 'Duster stuff----but old flames never die down1

Marl Halbrook
Albany, Ga
Starduster Too N88GG
BK-13005
http://websites.expercraft.com/halbrook/ (Starduster Too Recover)
WaltS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Still here Reply with quote

Still looking in once a week or so. As many life has snuck up and halted a few things, wife is very sick.

Hope this form keeps going... I enjoy it more than the others.

walt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt, I pray your wife's health will improve.

Life certainly does get in the way. My 31 year old daughter passed away 8 weeks ago, so needless to say the work on the Duster won't happen for a while. We were stuck on St Paul Island, Ak, when she got sick and she died just as we were touching down in Oklahoma City. Our sons and their friends paid for a Beach 1900 charter out of Anchorage to get us to Anchorage so we could get a flight home.

Take care and I wish you the best.

Steve H
WaltS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Steve H.

Condolences on your Daughter. That must be so very hard to take. My wife had the same tumor back in 2002 and we were told it would come back, and it would probably be aggressive when it did. We got 13 good years before it hit her hard again. So we knew it was coming. Your situation must be devastating. We will have to get over it and go on. I hope you can get back to work on your Duster soon..... Work on something your passionate about is a pretty good salve.

thanks for you reply. My reason for liking this site is the people and the camaraderie you don't find elsewhere.

walt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Life gets In The Way Reply with quote

Walt & Steve... Wow! I am so sorry to hear about things like this. There are so many ways to get out of this world and an airplane is just one. But health issues as one gets older is bad enough. Life is so fragile for many, I have been lucky. I never thought I would live to be 70 yrs old, much less 74, I had motorcycles as a young lad was in the Marine Corps, and 25 yrs on the fire dept! Plus flying 3500 hrs over 50 yrs and owning several airplanes. But the health and well being of our families especially the loss of a spouse or one of your children can be real eye openers and a devastating thing to deal with let alone overcome .

My wife is diabetic and has had a number of heart problems and crazy blood sugar issues, I had gal balder surgery just before Thanks Giving, it went well but have had an awful time with infections since, am currently clean and hopefully on top of it, but who knows?

Working on my SA-100 single place Starduster is my carrot and is what keeps me going.

I would like to see more action here on this site as well, but not many are building anymore, and the few that are have been spending most their time over on the Biplane Forum.

I would like to start posting some history about all of the Starduster airplanes as well as other significant ones with pictures on this site before I fall of the end of this earth, but it is a most complicated screwed up site to post pictures, and I have never been able to do so?

I think if I did this might bring others back, also I need to cross post what I have done on the Biplane forum and also many of the E-mail questions I get, and much of this would be of interest to all!

Walt Hope your wife makes it my friend, I am not sure what to say or what I would do without my girl, as she has been the best!

And Steve, I cannot imagine how I would react if one of my children pre deceased me? Most parents never think something like this could happen.
I have spent time in many owners and builders homes, and given them their wives and children rides most their first! And it is so upsetting and the most awful thing when they do stupid things in their airplanes and not only loose their lives, but take others with them! This is bad enough, but to loose family, I just cannot imagine...

All the best under the worst of times... Dave
WaltS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Not the worst times Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts and consideration.

I do truly hope you and your wife make it to 95 and older, and in good health....and I especially hope you do write some more history on Stardusters. I have read every post you've made since I joined the group and greatly enjoyed them all, and the book you sent. You've solved many a mystery for many of us.

The wife has been fighting this for over a year now and she hasn't given up yet. But, what will happen will happen. It has not really been the worst of time. We are closer now than ever and I enjoy taking care of her... she took care of me for so many years. She gives me her blessing to sneak away every now and then to get in a flight. Those flights are very therapeutic for both of us..me especially...my carrot but she feels it too.

I understand your feeling, surprised to still be here. I raced go karts and motorcycles as a kid. I did a year in the jungles on PBRs; 189 night ambushes, did a little stock car racing, road raced motorcycles for 19 years, and another 31 years traveling all over the country working with racers (driving the hiways being probably the most dangerous part). So I always thought she'd be the one to see me out of this world....

I lost many good friends to racing over the years. You can give the best equipment and the best advice....but you can't control the conditions, or what they do with it when the green flag drops, or they leave the ground.

She and I both feel that: You just take it as it comes... no regrets, and enjoy the people and experiences to the fullest.

Thanks Dave,
walt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Walt and Dave for the kind words. I appreciate it.

I'll get back the the Duster...just will take a little time. Priorities have taken a pretty good shuffle.

I know Walt and I are not the only ones who follow this forum who are in difficult times. We all just need to hang in there!

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: