Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fiberlass weave print through

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Otis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Fiberlass weave print through Reply with quote

I've completed some hand layup of fiberglass panels and have noted that I can see the pattern of the weave of the cloth under the paint in some places . It seems like no knows why this happens. Some say it is CTE mismatch between resins and the glass (I think this is likely). Others say is is chemical shrinkage due to the exposure of the chemicals in the paint (I think this is a contributer). Most folks apply thick coats of gelcoat to submerge the fabric from the fabric. In my case it is too late for that.

My question: Will additional coats of paint eliminate this? I currently have a base coat clear coat paint on it. I'm considering wet sanding the paint after a year and reshooting the clear.

Has anyone ever successfully eliminated or reduced this on your planes?
JOSH SOLIS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a professional painter, but I have know what you mean regarding the fabric print through. There are a few reasones why this might happen, but the only way I've seen it handled is primed with a high build polyester base primer. Build up the primer, sand then paint. Just a suggestion.
Josh
tunnels

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: some of the problems that cause print through !! Reply with quote

Print is caused by the cloth with the weave pattern to close to the surface , thin gel coat , under cured gel coat, insufficient thickness of chopped strand behind the gel coat also under cured resin that has a to higher shrinkage rate . to higher catalyst rate !!
remember not all resins and catalysts behave the same , used what recommended by the manufacture and if further problems persist change resins and use a finer cloth material behind the gel coat !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Experimental and Homebuilt Aircraft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: