Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stardusters featured in October 2014 Kitplanes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmcj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Stardusters featured in October 2014 Kitplanes Reply with quote

Our beloved Stardusters are being highlighted in this month's Kitplanes magazine. We even grace the cover!

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/

Photos and article are by our very own Tom Wilson. Great job Tom!!!
I've seen the online version... can't wait to get the printed mag in my grubby little paws.

Bruce Smile

Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Thanks for the kind words.

It's always tough to write about your friends--I can only hope I got it all right.

Thanks, as always, to the Baxters, plus Bill Lund and many others in the Starduster and sport aviation community for all the help extended to me in putting the article together.
tw
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Ah shucks... you'll make me blush.

It's getting sorta busy for me in the next few weeks, but with any luck we can meet up somewhere again. I think it's my turn to buzz down to Brown Field.
tw
RDavidson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Great article! Reply with quote

That was a great read!
I just finished a 16 hour cross country in my Too! I'm loving it, and I have just about worked all of the kinks out!
It is great to see our planes get some publicity!

Happy flying,
Ron
Dan Baxter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tom,

Excellent article! I enjoyed it very much! You're a very good writer and photographer. And not just because our planes were pictured on the cover and through out your story. I agree with my Dad, it was one of the best articles ever written about the type. I also liked seeing my Dad get a nod about the endless help he provides builders and owners. Anytime the Starduster line gets a little attention is a good thing!

You got some great pictures, I'd love to see the ones that didn't make the article. Columbia was a great venue, I hope we can do that again next year!

And for those who enjoyed seeing this article in Kitplanes be sure to let them know! Then maybe we'll get more content like this in the future!

Well done Tom, well done indeed!

Dan

Dan Baxter
Starduster Too
N96558
bmcj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Baxter wrote:
I'd love to see the ones that didn't make the article.

Here's a shot from the day (and a link to it's source):

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2014/05/the-heights-we-go-to/

NOTE: As evidenced by the lower quality (and the fact that Tom is standing on the ladder), this photo was not taken by Tom.

Bruce Smile

Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All--
Thanks for the kind words regarding the Kitplanes article.

I've been running from one project to another lately and have been too lazy or busy to post some pics from the Columbia fly-in last May, but it's on my to-do list!

Right now I'm back in from a driving trip to Colorado (old house work) and am off tomorrow or Thursday to Reno for the air races. I have a local airport board meeting tonight... you get the idea.

When I can I'll be sure to put up a few pics from Columbia. I hope they serve as an inducement to others to attend. It sure was a fun flight and get together.
tw
Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All--
Thanks for the kind words regarding the Kitplanes article.

I've been running from one project to another lately and have been too lazy or busy to post some pics from the Columbia fly-in last May, but it's on my to-do list!

Right now I'm back in from a driving trip to Colorado (old house work) and am off tomorrow or Thursday to Reno for the air races. I have a local airport board meeting tonight... you get the idea.

When I can I'll be sure to put up a few pics from Columbia. I hope they serve as an inducement to others to attend. It sure was a fun flight and get together.
tw
Lotahp1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom...I just got a copy of Kitplanes tonight. I'm blown away by the great article! It covers so much info about the design and gives people who have never been around one a great insight. Even mentioned my Ranger powered Too! Congrats goes to Dave and Dan also as they truly are a wonderful asset we new Starduster guys have, and remember Dave does all this just because he wants to not because he's profiting from it. Makes me want mine back flying more than ever! ( I did get some work done on it tonight. I stopped at Barnes and Noble on the way home from my Pops where I currently have it). Let the powers at be know I've sent in my years subscription card to Kitplanes strictly based on the hope of more articles like this!
N26AH Starduster Too with a Ranger Engine
bmcj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotahp1 wrote:
Congrats goes to Dave and Dan also as they truly are a wonderful asset we new Starduster guys have... Makes me want mine back flying more than ever!

Amen. In addition to thanking Tom, Dave and Dan, I'd also like to throw a word of thanks to Mike Peavy, who gave rides in his Duster to other attendees to keep their motivation high (including your's truly). As of late, I have had rides with Tom and with Mike and can't wait to get mine going so that I can pay it forward.

Bruce Smile

Tom Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All--
Again, thanks for the praise on the article.

As you all must know by now, the real source for so much of the article is the Baxters. Both Dave and Dan were a huge help in getting the story correct.

Credit also goes to everyone in the article--all those guys flying for the camera, hopping friends and improving their airplanes with special mods.

Thanks too to those reading Kitplanes. No business can keep going without customers, and for magazines that means readers. And I know there are some of you out there who have some good ideas, building tips, information of use to the active experimental builders. Kitplanes is always looking for good tech stories, and that includes rag and tube airplanes such as ours. If you're inclined and know your way around a camera chances are good Kitplanes will use your submission. It's another great way of keeping Stardusters relevant, so don't be shy.
tw
PB Schafer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: kitplane article Reply with quote

Tom. thanks for the great piece on the Starduster. Thanks also for including
N105NL. Howdy to all the folks on the forum. Wishing all of you safe and happy flying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: