Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bending Tailwheel steering tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDavidson

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Bending Tailwheel steering tabs Reply with quote

Fellas,

I have a new Scott 3200 Tailwheel (now Alaskan Bush Wheel made)
I also use the Dave Baxter Leaf spring, and the angle between the rudder post yoke and the 3200 steering tabs is huge.
Consequently I have bent the 3200 steering tabs upward over about 40 hours of use.
I need ideas on how to prevent the bending...
I have chains with compression springs.

I have thought about making a rudder post yoke that extends 6" down to lessen the angle. The cons of this would be added pressure on the rudder tube, and you could have an obstacle hit the yoke on an unimproved landing strip.

What ideas do you guys have, or what have you tried?

Thanks,
Ron
RT

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaskan Bushwheel has a steering arm that the ends are turned up and also a HD steering arm for there fat tire tailwheel one of those may work for you. Might be worth a call
jsh

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I built mine, Starduster Corp was selling a yoke unit that extends down the approx 6 inches you are talking about so that the chains/springs are roughly parallel to the ground. the yoke has a heavy wall tube that extends into the rudder post approx 4 inches and is bolted in two places. hope I explained that clearly.
RDavidson

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: That's the one! Reply with quote

JSH,

That is exactly what I was talking about. I thought I had seen one like that, but wasn't sure. I think I will make one and try it out.

I do have the heavier duty steering arm with the tabs that bend up 90 degrees, but didn't think about looking at the fat tire steering arm. Thanks!

Thanks,
Ron
jsh

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the yoke itself seems to be make out of 1/8inch plate (at least) and the tube that it is welded to is approx 1/8inch wall tube and the whole thing is tig welded......very substantial. let me know if you need a pic.
RDavidson

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: A pic Reply with quote

Jsh,

Thanks for the info...a pic would be great if it is not too much trouble.
Nothing like adding more weight to the tail! But worth it to stop bending that expensive steering arm!

Thanks,
Ron
WaltS

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,

Is it possible that the "compression" springs are collapsing and putting direct boot load against the arms? Cheap test might be to just change to regular stretch coil springs and see if it stops bending.

Recently had to replace the steering arm on mine.. the "notch" inside the center bore, where the little leaf spring sits to make it steer was misshapen and wouldn't reliable catch the steering spring, or release it. Works perfect now. BTW: the folks at Alaska Bush Wheel are very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Springs Reply with quote

Walt,

I'm glad you said something, because I have been watching your post about Tailwheel problems.

I had tried some normal springs before, but I didn't get the strength right, they were weak and made it impossible to taxi without using braking to turn.

My angle down to the Tailwheel is extreme, so I think I will try extending the yoke down and trying different springs...
Do you have any suggestions for good springs?

Thanks,
Ron
WaltS

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

I agree with everyone, you need to get the springs to a more parallel angle. I'm sure someone here can direct you to the yoke you need. Then the compression springs may work just fine. It was just a thought that the compression springs might be collapsing to "coil bind" and bending the arms.

You could test this by having someone sit in the cockpit and apply full rudder with the tail wheel set off some in the other direction.. See if the spring collapses to coil bind. You may have already done this.

I think A.B.W. sells springs..

Hope your enjoying the Springtime in Colorado...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Been a while Reply with quote

Sorry guys, it has been a while and I forgot to add the solution to the problem!
I found a yoke on eBay that was listed as an antique aircraft part. I don't know what aircraft it came off of but it is perfect minus the fact that I had to add a bushing to the stem to make it fit my rudder post. It's arms drop six inches down and now my compression springs are only slightly angled up. I logged 5 landings yesterday and the Tailwheel arms did not bend, so I think that is fixed! Thanks for all the input guys!

Thanks,
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: