Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2024 U CHANNEL and 2024 T BAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duster38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: 2024 U CHANNEL and 2024 T BAR Reply with quote

Hi everbody

I build an acroduster too SA750 and I have many problems.('Crying or Very sad')
I can't find the 2024 U channel to make the fitting-drag truss (sheet#12).
I cant find also 2024 T-bar to make the ailerons inges.
I did not find these products at aircraftspruce.
Someone can help me? I'm French homebuilder and in general buy all I need at aircraftspruce because all is in inches and in France all aeronautical material available are in millimeter.
Where can I find 2024 U channel and 2024 T-bar?
Per advance thank you for your answers and sorry for my bad english.

Ludo
John Singer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludo
Stolp and his successors had many parts and many materials made to order. When the supply was exhausted it becomes "do it yourself".

If we are talking about the same usage, the channel ( narrow but with high sides) was used to attatch the flying wires to the wing spars in my Starduster Too.

I don't know the function of what you call the "U bar".

If no one else comes up with a source for you, your cheapest, faster and best approach would be a local machine shop to mill the shapes you need from bar stock. The only thing I would do extra is to be sure the milling cutter has a radius on the cutting edge to avoid stress points at the bottom of the cut. A somewhat thicker metal might be used because extruding aluminum increases it's strength.

johnsinger912@comcast.net
Starduster History

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: SA-750 Wing Hardware Reply with quote

Ludo You are not the only one! Back in the 1970's when Jim Osborne designed this airplane all of these items were commercially available. The aerospace industry in southern California at the time used many of these items. But by the 1990's most had gone to other material such as composite and other lighter more exotic materials. When the need and demand no longer existed the manufactures quit producing these items!

You might still find some of this material at metal companies that specialize in surplus out of stock metals. These items were never made special for only Starduster Corp! As all of the items called out on (sheet # 12 and 24) T stock and U channel were commercially available at the time.

I think that all of these Items part#SA 750-12-3, SA750-12-4 and part# SA 750-29-3, an SA 750-29-4 could, with some creative engineering be made out of existing 2024-T3 angle and plate and riveted together such as on sheet # 24 aileron hinge assembly (Note the word creative)!

I know that builders are for the most part afraid to do anything other that what is called out in the plans, but one today has to venture off into areas they have not had to before. like John has said, Be a (Do It Your self) person.

One other possibility might be to make them out 4130 using sheet and square tubing!

Perhaps some of the current Acroduster Too builders might have remnants of this material they might sell or some real world ideas of how to make the parts out of material that is currently available, if so please chime in?

Again this is only my opinion. Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: