Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co
The Pilots Portal to the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recovering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Recovering Reply with quote

It is time to recover my airplane. Though I have never built or covered an airplane, I humbly submit that I am reasonably mechanically inclined and talented with my hands. Having said that, I was wondering if anyone had a reasonable estimate on how long in hours it would take from start to finish to recover and paint, using a one-color only paint scheme, a Starduster Too.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by Doc on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
starn11gy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,
I took my starduster down and completely repainted the fuselage tubing and sanded and varnished the wings, built new firewall and covered and painted it myself, installed new windsheilds and from take down to first flight was 20mos. Just about every day off was spent on this except for hunting season. I used a simple paint scheme. My work sch at the time was week on week off!

Alan
Alan Williams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, The real variable here is what will you find when you remove the fabric. I'm sure that someone has been lucky but I'm not aware of any recover job that did not need other work performed when the fabric was off. Surely the steel tube will need some paint work and liable to find some woodwork in the wings that needs attention, among other things.
Marl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you could work on it every day----IF you didn't find any stuff to fix/repair----IF you don't decide to change/modify anything when the fabric is off---IF ??????---------you might be able to do the actual covering job in about 200 hrs.......but that's a bunch of big IFs!!!

Realistically, you'd better plan to have at least a year to work on it----but more likely, you better plan on 2 minimum.......there's always more to the job than expected (most often outside stuff--like family, work, etc....) that will get "in the way" and extend the time.....

So----there is really no way to guesstimate a firm time!!

Marl Halbrook
Albany, Ga
Starduster Too N88GG
BK-13005
http://websites.expercraft.com/halbrook/ (Starduster Too Recover)
BFALCON

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore apart my ADII on New Year's Day 2004 and flew the airplane to Oshkosh on July 23rd 2004. 3 Color Aerothane. Poly Fiber system. Some woodwork in the wings and some plywood replacement in the center section. Blasted and painted fuse with Aerothane. Had 2 others help late in the game to rib stitch and assemble. I think it turned out to be an 8.5-9 out of 10. Learned alot about what not to do. It can be done this fast, but I would never do it like that again. I was on a mission to say the least and it consumed every spare moment and weekend. Don't know how many hours, but it was nearly every evening and weekend for that time period. Would do plywood leading edges if I had it to do over.
BFALCON

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to do Poly Fiber, I would do the EAA weekend course on fabric covering. Worth every penny.
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for you replies. Bill, I know your airplane. I have seen it a few times at Poplar Grove. Very nicely done.
(formerly 85RC)
jsh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFALCON wrote:
If you are going to do Poly Fiber, I would do the EAA weekend course on fabric covering. Worth every penny.

best advice you will get on this subject
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co Forum Index -> Starduster and Acroduster All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: